UK beer scene

Reads 48902 • Replies 403 • Started Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:40:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 16:05 Mon 9/6/2010

Originally posted by SilkTork
The notion of Scottish brewers burning their malt as they boiled it over primitive peat fires, and being unable to afford to hop their beers (because they spent all their money on deep fried Mars Bars) is an absurdity and an insult.

Yeah, but it’s alright as the Scots can’t read.

InvalidStout
18:04 Mon 9/6/2010

What is sad is that at this moment, despite all the documentary evidence of Scotland’s brewing history, the BJCP persist in the false story that Scottish brewers couldn’t afford to put hops in their beer.

Nobody with any credibility takes the bjcp seriously in Europe. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 22:17 Mon 9/6/2010

Originally posted by FatPhil
The notion of Scottish brewers burning their malt as they boiled it over primitive peat fires, and being unable to afford to hop their beers (because they spent all their money on deep fried Mars Bars) is an absurdity and an insult.

Oh come on thats just not fair.
You know fine well i have 2 kids.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 01:56 Tue 9/7/2010

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Read not Breed, Craig!!!

Martyartie
beers 1 º 04:15 Tue 9/7/2010

I will defend what I say here, as people have and do use the term Burton Ale to refer to a beer that is also known as IPA. I think we should accept that some beer name/terms cover a range of beers, and that it’s not always possible to pin down one type of beer to one name only.

Since Burton Ale was the name of a distinct style of beer long before the very different style of IPA appeared, and it continued to be the name of a very separate style of beer after Burton brewers started making IPAs, it’s both completely wrong and extremely confusing to refer to IPAs from Burton as Burton Ale. Burton Ale is Burton Ale and IPA is IPA. That’s why, for example, Bass used the red triangle trademark for its pale ales and the red diamond trademark for its Burton Ales.

InvalidStout
04:26 Tue 9/7/2010

It’s Ind Coope’s fault for launching Burton Ale, which was/is Pale Ale, not Burton Ale.

The "teapot legend" (whether you believe it actually happened or not) is a good indication of the difference. "Your Burton ale, so strong and sweet, will not suit our market." the Burton brewers are supposed to have been told by the East India Company, asking them to brew something quite different instead, a beer imitating Hodgson’s pale ale.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 09:42 Tue 9/7/2010

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by FatPhil

Dang, I have no response - we’ll have to shake on 1-all on the pythonesque quips stakes!

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 05:31 Wed 9/8/2010

Can anyone help me with some numbers?
In the most recent issue of the Danish beer magazine there were some recent numbers for Danish craft beer and it would be interesting to compare:

The market share of craft brewers/non-multinationals.
The shares for retail vs bar/cafe/restaurant sales for specialty beer.

In Denmark micro brewers have a 3.5% market share.
I assume that "craft beer" lines from Carlsberg, Royal Unibrew, Vestfyen and Harboe are kept out of this figure, otherwise it would be larger. Imports is also around 3.5%, including everything from Budweiser to Three Floyds.

Specialty beer (micros + imports) is sold 75% in retail and 25% in bars/cafes/restaurants. This is very different from the UK. Danes prefer to drink good beer at home with the wife and a few friends. Another reason to be jealous of you...

Any comparable numbers would be interesting.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:37 Wed 9/8/2010

You might find some useful figures at
http://www.caskreport.co.uk/

The 2009/2010 report isn’t out until 27 September though.

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 06:37 Fri 9/10/2010

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/09/09/british-beer-booming-or-boring/

It’s as if he read this thread...

By the way, 767 breweries in the UK compares to 120 in Denmark, with a population less than a tenth of the UK. So you don’t have the most breweries per capita as someone suggested a few pages back :)