RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

UK beer scene

read 36816 times • 403 replies • posted 8/26/2010 3:40:49 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41

premium
Fin 7538:573
Actually just realised that Butts Barbus Barbus is 4.6% so technically wouldnít really be able to be considered, but would happily go along with Harveys suggestions I also quite like Wolf Best Bitter 3.9% really tasty session beer and note that Ian, Glen, Casey and one or two others have given this very good reviews, of course it might not be as accesible as others.
9/14/2010 2:08:11 PM

Private message send the author a private message

haddonsman 1234:56
Originally posted by tdtm82
Either Fullerís ESB or Adnams Broadside

Great beers, but too strong in the current íbrown beerí context.

@AndrewC - canít believe I forgot Whim Hartington Bitter. Iíd drink more of it, but their IPA keeps getting in the way...

and a gastro-pub point; weíve one of sorts (The Bear, Alderwasley) which is an food-led inn but perhaps the only one Iíve seen where a table has been reserved in the bar to allow the locals somewhere to play cribbage.
9/14/2010 2:30:40 PM

premium
Fin 7538:573
Believe it or not one of my locals The Nut Tree, Murcott is a Michelin Star pub, and yet Mike and Imogen are incredibly down to earth have three handpumps on all the while usually one from Vale, one from Hook Norton and a guest. They are also looking at extending the drinking area as despite their success on the food front they consider themselves a pub first and foremost.
9/14/2010 2:38:12 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by haddonsman

And now, tongue out of cheek... thereís something about a session bitter that is more than the equal of an uber-bastard barrel-aged douple triple hoo-ha from Kyrgyzstan. As Silk says, perhaps thatís more to do with place, company, mood etc in that a light-bodied yet still tasty beer provides social lubrication dwon the pub rather than the feeling of having your sinuses blown and then missing the last bus.

The pint of Bass I had in the Clifton Hotel in Folkestone last night would be the perfect example of this. They only sell one beer, Bass, but have 2 handpulls, so that they can clean one whilst the other is being used. The conditioning is always perfect as is the temperature, not too warm, not too cold (something that seems to be happening more) It had just enough yeast character, malt/fruit and slightly bitter hop on the end to be interesting, but nothing jumped out at you to slap you in the face. Ersatz - is that the word? The whole was greater than the sum of its parts??

der Ersatz == substitute or surrogate, depending on context.

das Ganze == the whole

die Gestalt == figure / form / design

Probably Gestalt.

So the question is what decent c. 4% UK brown bitters are there?

Thanks for bringing this up, Iíd like to know of more too.
9/14/2010 3:25:32 PM

premium
harrisoni 13848:22
Originally posted by Erlangernick
der Ersatz == substitute or surrogate, depending on context.

das Ganze == the whole

die Gestalt == figure / form / design

Probably Gestalt.

So the question is what decent c. 4% UK brown bitters are there?

Thanks for bringing this up, Iíd like to know of more too.

I know itís been said before on this thread, about how good it is, but this is now officially my favourite thread on Ratebeer of all time. Even better than the troll one I started about how Belgian lambics are so much better than American sours (shit, I promised I wouldnít bring that up again......even though there is that thing in the American constitution about things being self evident......, shit, Iíve done it again, sorry folks, didnít mean it, been at the La Goudale from France again.......)

Wolf Best Bitter. Yes, must get back to the Wolf pub in Norwich and drink more of it.
9/14/2010 4:05:40 PM

tdtm82 668:77
On guard with a biere de garde!
9/14/2010 4:15:46 PM

evilempire 135:30
Originally posted by SaintMatty
Originally posted by wheresthepath
Originally posted by SaintMatty

Does the Beermad site still include breweries that are now defunct?

Itís listing 1,887 current and 855 closed - I assumed from that it excluded defunct ones from the "current" count...?

Yeah, that sounds more like it. Iíd actually like to see a section in Whatís Brewing detailing the new breweries opening and the brewery closures. Itís difficult to keep up to date!

like anything on paper, Whatís Boring is out of date by the time itís printed (mind you, most of itís BS anyway...)

for the most accurate list of British breweries: www.quaffale.org.uk
9/15/2010 2:29:32 AM

haddonsman 1234:56
Originally posted by evilempire

Top site for brewery gen. I couldnít find any íopení UK total on there apart from the county-level figures; is their one lurking on there somewhere?

And does anyone know a Google Map that has all the UK breweries on it? Not that Iím talking myself into a GIS project is the answerís no...
9/15/2010 3:46:38 AM

evilempire 135:30

Top site for brewery gen. I couldnít find any íopení UK total on there apart from the county-level figures; is their one lurking on there somewhere?

And does anyone know a Google Map that has all the UK breweries on it? Not that Iím talking myself into a GIS project is the answerís no...

like this one? http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/showmap.php
9/15/2010 4:00:31 AM

tdtm82 668:77

like this one? http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/showmap.php

I am getting dizzy! Lots of ticks here.
9/15/2010 4:07:58 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer