RateBeer

Unapologetically: Coors > Urquell

read 5985 times • 55 replies •

Thread Frozen

joet
premium
admin
beers 2409 º places 100 º 09:33 Sat 5/22/2010

I retasted Coors for the first time in eight years last week. The hop profile was cleaned up immensely with only trace amounts of the oxidized Saaz hops that were the hallmark of the brand for at least 20 years. Crisp in feel with some hop aroma, Coors tasted like a solid, even if minimally flavored, example of a light lager.

I tasted this side-by-side with other lagers, including Pilsner Urquell. While Urquell was not bad, it definitely showed, in its oxidized malts, that it was halfway around the world from its source. It was a flawed beer.

For this reason, at least here in these parts, Coors is better than Pilsner Urquell.

tyler_mn
beers 1475 º places 67 º 09:34 Sat 5/22/2010

Was the Urquell out of a bottle or can?

StefanSD
beers 2218 º places 45 º 09:36 Sat 5/22/2010

In all fairness, you should send an old can of Coors to someone in Prague and let him/her taste it side by side with a fresh Urquell.

Kinz
premium
beers 3527 º places 65 º 09:44 Sat 5/22/2010

This is why I reserve drinking Urquell for when I can get it on tap. It just doesnít hold up well in bottles, even fresh ones. On draft, Urquell > Coors. Make that Urquell >>> Coors.

JFGrind
premium
beers 1918 º places 80 º 09:45 Sat 5/22/2010

Iíve been eyeing up Coors Original on recent visits to purchase beer. Iíl have to pick-up a sixer and give it a re-try.

cheap
beers 4626 º places 184 º 09:48 Sat 5/22/2010

uh-oh, I sense a relaxing of the rudeness and mean spiritedness against macros on the horizon!

joet
premium
admin
beers 2409 º places 100 º 09:49 Sat 5/22/2010

Originally posted by tytoanderso

Can. The primary flaw wasnít skunked, light-struck hops, it was oxidized malts.

3fourths
premium
beers 8639 º places 1453 º 10:16 Sat 5/22/2010

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by tytoanderso

Can. The primary flaw wasnít skunked, light-struck hops, it was oxidized malts.

oly towers above coors. for real.

and bottles of weltenburger pils are killing anything beer at this moment.

SamGamgee
premium
beers 2452 º places 182 º 10:40 Sat 5/22/2010

Iíve only had bottles and draught over here in the states, but Iíve never thought either version of Urquell over here was very good. Itís a solid pils on tap on its home turf, but you just canít pasteurize it and ship it around the world in a container and expect it to keep the same character. I think Coors would hold up a lot better though. There isnít as much to lose.

Gazza
beers 726 º places 163 º 11:05 Sat 5/22/2010

From the can, Iíd guess it was the Polish or Russian version making it even worse (and less authentic!) than the original.

Even in Plzen itís not a good beer IMO, just way too industrial in taste, although I know a lot of people like it.

coldbrewky
premium
beers 1507 º places 72 º 13:33 Sat 5/22/2010

Originally posted by stefanje
In all fairness, you should send an old can of Coors to someone in Prague and let him/her taste it side by side with a fresh Urquell.

+ 1