RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Unhappy brewer

read 8289 times • 126 replies • posted 3/13/2013 12:10:47 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

beastiefan2k 2478:177
Originally posted by flabeer
Donít post a review you wouldnít tell the brewer to his face.

generally good rule for anything one says
4/29/2013 9:48:01 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
brokensail 11085:866
Originally posted by Drake
He did that to himself. Just keep in mind that the beer your rating is the result of someoneís passion, sweat and blood. And there is a secret brewers society that knows where you live... It knows your kids and wifeís schedules. they can and will find you...

I also noted that four people who have posted in this thread have tried the beer, and even though there is only one rating, all four share generally the same opinion. Thatís a little snapshot of real life. For everyone speaking up on a beer site, there are many more consumers out there who will just never buy your beer again and never tell you why.

Yup.

ChinoSkillzian, t0rin0, vacax, and myself all tried this beer together, in case that wasnít already clear. While Iím the only one that consistently rates, all four of us have tried thousands of beers and I think at this point, all of us are pretty capable of determining the general quality of a beer.

It was said after we tried the beer that if any of us had brewed a beer that tasted like what we tried, it would be dumped down the drain and never spoken of again.

I understand that somebody put effort into producing the beer, but just because you try at something doesnít mean you get a gold medal. We seem to have the "everybody wins", "every beer is special" mentality. Some people might think your beer sucks, and they might be keyboard warriors like me and post those thoughts anonymously on the internet.

If the guy wrote me and said that he thought I was too harsh and unfair and was at least even anything close to courteous, I would have said: "youíre right, Iím sorry" and edited the rating to a tone that is more in line with my typical rating style. At that point, itís likely no one would have ever even seen the rating I gave. Because he chose to use some personal attacks, some of which make no sense, now everyone has read my rating and read the message he sent. They probably still think Iím a dick, but they probably think he is too. The thing is, Iím not trying to promote a company or sell anybody beer.
4/30/2013 12:12:53 AM

premium
adnielsen 9279:422
Donít post a review you wouldnít tell the brewer to his face.

Why should I have to awkwardly lecture you to your face that your beer sucks? Iím entitled to my opinion (however skewed it may be) and should not feel obligated recite it to you face. Thatís intimidation and doesnít lead to objectivity. If you donít like some ratings, donít join a ratings site.
4/30/2013 12:30:16 AM

premium
GT2 8510:604
Didnít that guy not even have his beer in the database previously, and we tried hard to get more information and he was intentionally vague? One of the strangest brewing operations Iíve ever heard of. Then, first review goes ape shit. This is definitely someone not ready to run a business.
4/30/2013 12:31:20 AM

premium
OldGrowth 2702:172
so if the brewer just joined today, or date of your original post, how did they know about the rating?
Originally posted by DuffMan
I just got chastised in a beermail from a brewmaster (small American brewery, employs 12 people) who was unhappy about my rating for one of his beers. His opening address was "Hey numbnuts" (very professional), and then went on to tell me how the beer in question has won awards and blah blah blah. I responded (rather nastily), then found out that he joined RB today SPECIFICALLY to send me his stern message.

Has this happened to anyone else? Just curious.
4/30/2013 3:09:04 AM

premium
RABinCO 1366:81
Originally posted by GT2
Didnít that guy not even have his beer in the database previously, and we tried hard to get more information and he was intentionally vague? One of the strangest brewing operations Iíve ever heard of. Then, first review goes ape shit. This is definitely someone not ready to run a business.

yep. this, thereís definitely something weird going on with them, either shady or just poor management.
4/30/2013 5:20:19 AM

flabeer 2
Originally posted by womencantsail
Originally posted by Drake
He did that to himself. Just keep in mind that the beer your rating is the result of someoneís passion, sweat and blood. And there is a secret brewers society that knows where you live... It knows your kids and wifeís schedules. they can and will find you...

I also noted that four people who have posted in this thread have tried the beer, and even though there is only one rating, all four share generally the same opinion. Thatís a little snapshot of real life. For everyone speaking up on a beer site, there are many more consumers out there who will just never buy your beer again and never tell you why.

Yup.

ChinoSkillzian, t0rin0, vacax, and myself all tried this beer together, in case that wasnít already clear. While Iím the only one that consistently rates, all four of us have tried thousands of beers and I think at this point, all of us are pretty capable of determining the general quality of a beer.

It was said after we tried the beer that if any of us had brewed a beer that tasted like what we tried, it would be dumped down the drain and never spoken of again.

I understand that somebody put effort into producing the beer, but just because you try at something doesnít mean you get a gold medal. We seem to have the "everybody wins", "every beer is special" mentality. Some people might think your beer sucks, and they might be keyboard warriors like me and post those thoughts anonymously on the internet.

If the guy wrote me and said that he thought I was too harsh and unfair and was at least even anything close to courteous, I would have said: "youíre right, Iím sorry" and edited the rating to a tone that is more in line with my typical rating style. At that point, itís likely no one would have ever even seen the rating I gave. Because he chose to use some personal attacks, some of which make no sense, now everyone has read my rating and read the message he sent. They probably still think Iím a dick, but they probably think he is too. The thing is, Iím not trying to promote a company or sell anybody beer.

My point is...there are ways to say the beer sucks aka, you donít like a beer, without being a tool. Michael Jackson never had a bad word for any of the beers he wrote about BUT you always knew what he enjoyed and what was awful. Rating sites, and the internet in general, give you a certain anonymity that tends to breed douchbaggery. Donít be that guy. Thatís all. Let me follow you to your job and critique you. How do you think youíll hold up? And at the end of your work day, let me write a report on how you suck at your job(at least in the way I see you sucking at your job) and send it to your boss, your wife, your kids, your parents and friends and so on.
4/30/2013 7:30:59 AM

pinkie 470:10
I donít see why they are emailing you unless your opinion is that important. Itís a compliment in a weird way I am sure. If you donít like a beer, you should definitely feel free to say why not.
4/30/2013 7:37:47 AM

Gazza 726:163
My point is...there are ways to say the beer sucks aka, you donít like a beer, without being a tool.

Iím a brewer, and what people say about my beers doesnít bother me - in fact, the bad reviews are what I read more.

Expecting everyone to like your beer / review it well is setting yourself up for a big fall; there are a lot of people around who couldnít find their arse with both hands yet feel they are experts on things theyíve never done (such as brewing) but they are still entitled to their opinion however skewed/wrong/retarded it is. Thatís called freedom of speech and, even though Iíve seen some people say our beer is "fucking shit", thatís their opinion and fair enough.

Just go with the flow and ride the comments - getting hung up on people slagging your beers off isnít the way to go even if you think they donít know what the fuck theyíre talking about (and Iím not aiming that at anyone here, itís a general comment!!!).

Remember, you canít please all of the people all of the time.
4/30/2013 7:39:48 AM

premium
3fourths 8100:1313
Let me follow you to your job and critique you. How do you think youíll hold up?

I do not create products that customers can purchase. I do not run a business open to the public. this doesnít apply.
4/30/2013 7:42:06 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers