RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Unhappy brewer

read 8363 times • 126 replies • posted 3/13/2013 12:10:47 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

premium
RABinCO 1399:87
the thing is, RB doesnít allow for abiding by "if you donít have anything nice to say then donít say anything at all." If youíre rating a beer 0.8 then itís going to be hard to find anything good, much less nice, to say about it. iíd do the same thing BROcansail did and i think i have on occasion. but i was given the chance to just leave a numerical rating and leave the comments blank, iíd opt for that in a lot of those cases.
4/30/2013 10:37:39 AM

Private message send the author a private message

flabeer 2
Originally posted by womencantsail
No, thatís not what Iím saying. I have posted multiple times now that I was a dick about it. Most of my ratings are pretty much the same basic format and syntax and I decided to have some fun with this particular rating, thatís all. Was it poor form? Probably.

As I stated before, the reason I even posted about this is because I thought it was amusing the guy was upset at my poor form and then proceeded to lower the bar even more.

From your posts, it seems like you have the correct and professional approach for dealing with raters and customers who gave some of your beers unfriendly/rude/etc. reviews, so Iím not sure why youíre rushing to the defense of a guy who decided he should one-up someone on the asshole totem pole.

Not defending in any way, just understanding where heís coming from.
As a rater, its all fun and games but to brewers listed on this site, weather they want to admit it or not, are affected by what happens here.. Somehow, much to my amazement, Ratebeer and BeerAdvocate are looked upon by the press as the last word on craft beer. Lazy journalism, but it is what it is.
4/30/2013 11:08:35 AM

premium
TheHOFF43 1759:109
Originally posted by flabeer
Originally posted by womencantsail
No, thatís not what Iím saying. I have posted multiple times now that I was a dick about it. Most of my ratings are pretty much the same basic format and syntax and I decided to have some fun with this particular rating, thatís all. Was it poor form? Probably.

As I stated before, the reason I even posted about this is because I thought it was amusing the guy was upset at my poor form and then proceeded to lower the bar even more.

From your posts, it seems like you have the correct and professional approach for dealing with raters and customers who gave some of your beers unfriendly/rude/etc. reviews, so Iím not sure why youíre rushing to the defense of a guy who decided he should one-up someone on the asshole totem pole.

Not defending in any way, just understanding where heís coming from.
As a rater, its all fun and games but to brewers listed on this site, weather they want to admit it or not, are affected by what happens here.. Somehow, much to my amazement, Ratebeer and BeerAdvocate are looked upon by the press as the last word on craft beer. Lazy journalism, but it is what it is.

Cumulative, unbiased ratings are a good way to view things. Should we ask the brewers if their beer is good? Should we ask the fanboys if the beer is good?

Youíre getting way too defensive of your brewing brethren. I rate beers to kill time at work, at taprooms or for fun. I donít do it for a living, no one is paying for my shitty reviews. Sorry than every so often I donít feel like writing that the flavor, aroma and appearance all were sub-par and Iíd prefer to prepare it to fucking horrible things like mom farts and band-aids.
4/30/2013 11:36:42 AM

premium
pepsican 1452:53
Originally posted by flabeer

As a rater, its all fun and games but to brewers listed on this site, weather they want to admit it or not, are affected by what happens here.

Good. If you brew a beer that tastes like hot dogs and a chemistry set, youíre going to fail. Too much crappy beer out in the world right now thanks to brewers that have no business brewing beer.

Also, I donít think we have nearly as much influence as you think on most beer brands. Sure, the companies that are catering just to us and producing random one off nerd beers arenít going to survive with low ratings. I agree with that. The majority of the craft beer sales here at the store donít come from people on this site or beeradvocate, they come from people who actually drink beer.
4/30/2013 11:43:43 AM

premium
t0rin0 68:1448
Originally posted by khoffman43
Youíre getting way too defensive of your brewing brethren. I rate beers to kill time at work, at taprooms or for fun. I donít do it for a living, no one is paying for my shitty reviews. Sorry than every so often I donít feel like writing that the flavor, aroma and appearance all were sub-par and Iíd prefer to prepare it to fucking horrible things like mom farts and band-aids.

But I think thats the whole point here: itís too easy to say stuff like that on the internet because youíre more or less anonymous. Look at those facebook people that show up here periodically because they have a hard on for adamjackson. You think any one of those people would act like that if they met him in person?
4/30/2013 11:46:49 AM

ChinoSkillzian 167:32
Just keep in mind that the beer your rating is the result of someoneís passion, sweat and blood.

I love the whole "Passion" argument. One can have a lot a passion for something, but that doesnít mean they do it well or have the particular God-given ability to do said activity, and it doesnít justify them doing it on a commercial level or as a profession. Its like all those people who canít cook who want to open restaurants or some Wall Street guy wanting to own a vineyard that doesnít know the first thing about wine making.

I am very passionate about horses and horse racing, and I would love to spend my days at the track training Thoroughbreds, but I know I probably donít have the right type of mind to go get a Veterinary Science degree.

In the end, regardless of how passionate someone is doesnít mean that passion will make up for lack of talent and that the person should open a business. That is the definition of the Entrepreneurial Myth (book by Michael Gerber).
4/30/2013 2:16:27 PM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers