Unhappy brewer

Reads 10933 • Replies 126 • Started Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:10:47 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 12:53 Wed 3/13/2013

Originally posted by JMerritt
Brewers should act professionally. And we should act likewise. I’m not sure that means lowering a rating out of spite. Update your rating mentioning that the brewer was rude to you, but leave your scores stand. Take the high road.

I won’t be changing my score, since this is RateBeer, not RateBrewer.
Maybe I shouldn’t have taken the low road, but I responded in knee-jerk fashion and cannot take it back. I don’t think I would anyway. The whole thing is ridiculous and annoying. I’m a beer hobbyist that lives in a small town in Canada. I don’t give a rip about what the guy thinks of me or my ratings (despite him saying that bad ratings like mine give his brewery a bad reputation which in turn affect sales ).

I wasn’t trying to stir shit with this thread. Just trying to get a sense of how common this is. I’ve been a member since 2005 and this is a first for me.

BrewOf1869
13:02 Wed 3/13/2013

Do you even know if this is actually a brewer from this brewery or just somebody messing with you? If you care enough, which you obviously do, I’d call the brewery to clarify if the actual brewmaster sent that. If they confirm, then you should contact the owner to make them aware of their brewmaster’s unprofessional behavior. If these actions fell on deaf ears (the owner), I’d then bring the situation to the attention of the forums so other drinkers may choose or not choose to forgoe drinking their products.

If the actual brewmaster did send that, a good owner would be thankful for feedback on this so he or she can take corrective action and potentially replace that person with a more professional individual.

foppa78
places 12 º 13:07 Wed 3/13/2013

Originally posted by DuffMan
Originally posted by JMerritt
Brewers should act professionally. And we should act likewise. I’m not sure that means lowering a rating out of spite. Update your rating mentioning that the brewer was rude to you, but leave your scores stand. Take the high road.

I won’t be changing my score, since this is RateBeer, not RateBrewer.
Maybe I shouldn’t have taken the low road, but I responded in knee-jerk fashion and cannot take it back. I don’t think I would anyway. The whole thing is ridiculous and annoying. I’m a beer hobbyist that lives in a small town in Canada. I don’t give a rip about what the guy thinks of me or my ratings (despite him saying that bad ratings like mine give his brewery a bad reputation which in turn affect sales ).

I wasn’t trying to stir shit with this thread. Just trying to get a sense of how common this is. I’ve been a member since 2005 and this is a first for me.

You would think that someone who is worried about his sales would not be calling his customers numbnuts.

There are a hundred better ways that this brewer could have handled this but he chose not to. I agree that you should keep your rating what it is. Maybe some day you will have the chance to try it again to possibly alter or confirm your original rating.

Everyone has a bad day. This guy probably loves beer like all of us. This may have hit him while in a grumpy mood. Still very poorly handled by him though.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 13:19 Wed 3/13/2013

1st: very sad to see a brewer have too much spare time to send someone with what looks like an honest rating such a strange and stupid message.

2nd: I wouldn’t bother buying any of their beers again! (Had something similar with a Dutch brewer, he is not getting any of my money ever again!)

3rd: a brewer with at least a bit of brains (and skin) should handle any form of criticism with a professiona attitude!

Such (stupid) actions by brewers should be archived here on Ratebeer!
I am sure a brewer and it’s brewery could start packing after such idiotic actions...

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 13:27 Wed 3/13/2013

Dang it! I feel so left out. 12 1/2 years of rating beers and not one ticked off brewer messaging me. I need to get out more.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 13:28 Wed 3/13/2013

Originally posted by BrewOf1869
Do you even know if this is actually a brewer from this brewery or just somebody messing with you? If you care enough, which you obviously do, I’d call the brewery to clarify if the actual brewmaster sent that. If they confirm, then you should contact the owner to make them aware of their brewmaster’s unprofessional behavior. If these actions fell on deaf ears (the owner), I’d then bring the situation to the attention of the forums so other drinkers may choose or not choose to forgoe drinking their products.

If the actual brewmaster did send that, a good owner would be thankful for feedback on this so he or she can take corrective action and potentially replace that person with a more professional individual.

Correction: The message came from the company president, not the brewmaster. My apologies, but in a way, that makes all of your comments even more pertinent.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 13:32 Wed 3/13/2013

I’m waiting for someone from Horny Goat to message me due to my stream of low ratings.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 13:44 Wed 3/13/2013

I’m surprised he didn’t message me for not liking his DIPA. It tasted terrible, not my fault.

Anyway, pretty classless by the brewery to contact you.

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3498 º places 102 º 13:54 Wed 3/13/2013

Originally posted by Indra
Dang it! I feel so left out. 12 1/2 years of rating beers and not one ticked off brewer messaging me. I need to get out more.

I was thinking the exact same thing, coming on 13 years. C’mon numbnuts, somebody chastise me already!

RamyG4
beers 324 º places 3 º 13:56 Wed 3/13/2013

Imagine if ratebeer was like yelp, and brewers could respond to bad ratings.