RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Unhappy brewer

read 8361 times • 126 replies • posted 3/13/2013 12:10:47 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

VertBaconStrips 2100:4
for me, obviously a couple of times. Iíve handled it nicely but only with those who attempt to come across professional. Those who act like children deserve none of my respect.
3/13/2013 9:05:41 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JohnGalt1 592:2
I got a message on BA about a particular "Peche Lambic". I donít remember exactly what it said, but I do remember the final line. "And tell your friend Eric to Fuck Off!"

Eric is ditmier here on RB.

My review wasnít particularly bad... Honest, but not terrible.
3/13/2013 9:21:25 PM

premium
kmweaver 3207:116
Originally posted by 17thfloor
"These seemingly alcoholic losers wouldnít know a good beer if it was delivered by the gods themselves." this has been my quote on my profile ever since some brewer said it last year? who was the brewer who put up the long blog post hating on ratebeer... someone has to remember... it turned into a 20 page thread if I remember right

ah here we go: http://beerpulse.com/2010/07/when-brewers-go-on-the-attack/

Good times...
3/13/2013 9:41:19 PM

premium
GT2 8742:613
Iíve been contacted Iíd say now 10-15 times in my life regarding my ratings by brewers personally. Maybe 1 of those was thanking me for enjoying their beer and wasnít upset in any way. But I want to share two stories of how this has been a good thing.

1: Prism Beer in Philadelphia. I rated their jalapeno something very low. It was very bad, undrinkable. The brewer contacted me, but did not chastise me. He said that because of my rating and because I put the place where I had it, they were able to figure out that their distributor was selling expired kegs to bars and not telling the brewery or the bar. They were able to fix this issue I suppose. The brewer invited me to come over and drink for free at the tap room.

2. Tired Hands: first review I did of a Tired Hands beer was very low key, it was a HopHands growler that was fresh. My review wasnít that it was bad, just not blown away. Jean contacted me and asked nicely that I re-rate the beer fresh at the brewery. I was a little shocked and miffed, but then after having it that way I can see his point. He is very serious about his beer and wasnít happy about some of the first reviews ever of his product coming from a less than ideal non CP filled growler. Now, Jean and I have got to chat on numerous occasions and he even donated 6 growlers for RBWG.

3. Today I just got a PM from the Local Option brewer. Canít wait to see what this one says!
3/14/2013 3:12:36 AM

premium
Leighton 11874:641
Iíve gotten about three to five beermails from brewers. All of them have been pleasant. In one notable instance, I had a bottled beer from a new London brewer (Redchurch) and it was clearly a little off. I said as much in my rating but I didnít slag off the beer (I think I scored it in the upper 2s). As long as youíre clear about the issue(s) with a beer and explain your rating, I think most brewers will take the criticism better than if you just write íthis is garbage juiceí or something. (Of course, in some cases ígarbage juiceí is the best descriptor.) The brewer sent me a beermail and invited me to the brewery in East London so I could give the beer another shot. I went one night after work and ended up trying a bunch of his beers: tweaked recipes, then-unreleased beers, etc. I spent over an hour with the brewer and when I left he sent me packing with 10 more bottles of his beer. Since then, Iíve been a big supporter of Redchurch and I often note it as one of Londonís best new breweries. And I revised up my score for the beer.
3/14/2013 3:41:11 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3362:74

OP is Canadian

3/14/2013 5:01:16 AM

premium
Suttree 5266:175
Iíve only been contacted once*, and the brewer (Fullsteam) was very courteous and professional. His reason for contacting me was concern that the bar was selling old or mis-handled kegs. The thanked me for my help, so I deleted the rating out of respect.

*not counting the times the guy from CASTA beermailed me to thank me for rating. SALUD!
3/14/2013 5:22:54 AM

premium
JMerritt 1843:72
Originally posted by Suttree
the times the guy from CASTA beermailed me to thank me for rating. SALUD!

RIP Casta.
3/14/2013 8:34:19 AM

premium
brokensail 11599:905
"These seemingly alcoholic losers wouldnít know a good beer if it was delivered by the gods themselves." this has been my quote on my profile ever since some brewer said it last year? who was the brewer who put up the long blog post hating on ratebeer... someone has to remember... it turned into a 20 page thread if I remember right

ah here we go: http://beerpulse.com/2010/07/when-brewers-go-on-the-attack/

There was also this one: http://beerpulse.com/2011/03/mother-earth-brew-co-apologizes-removes-controversial-post-claiming-boycott-of-ba-rb/
3/14/2013 9:06:27 AM

premium
after4ever 6263:232
Yeah, the president of Bellevue Brewing wrote me a long email saying my Place review of the BBC was "totally unwarranted."

Half the notes were actually fairly complimentary, though the numerical score was low. And my reviews of their beers are quite high.

He said I was "typing a bunch of negativity into cyberspace."

These guys have a bit of a rep for a privileged, entitled attitude due to all the tech investors they lined up. Sending emails to reviewers saying they deserve higher scores isnít gonna change that perception.
3/14/2013 9:26:42 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers