RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Unhappy brewer

read 8182 times • 126 replies • posted 3/13/2013 12:10:47 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

premium
3fourths 7976:1269
Originally posted by womencantsail
Received this gem yesterday.

awesome. time for this brewer to put on his big-boy pants if he wants to stand a chance in this industry. thereís no room for hurt feelings here. you can choose to chalk up low scores to differences in taste, or you can try to find reasons that people donít seem to dig your beer. one thing that brewers are very hesitant to acknowledge, understandably, is the possibility that they are not able to detect faults and flaws in their own beer.
4/29/2013 10:03:24 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
t0rin0 62:1325
Originally posted by 3fourths

awesome. time for this brewer to put on his big-boy pants if he wants to stand a chance in this industry. thereís no room for hurt feelings here. you can choose to chalk up low scores to differences in taste, or you can try to find reasons that people donít seem to dig your beer. one thing that brewers are very hesitant to acknowledge, understandably, is the possibility that they are not able to detect faults and flaws in their own beer.

The beer was pretty bad and the brewer should know that, but when your rating contains

Fuck. The flavor is even worse. Tastes like drinking a cocktail from a chemistry set. Burnt rubber, chlorine, smoke, bandaids, hot dogs, and lemon. Really bitter, too. Just awful. This is some serious grade F garbage

you lose a little bit of your objectivity and I could see why someone might accuse you of making a joke rather than a serious rating.
4/29/2013 10:19:35 AM

premium
That said I think both the rating and the beermail are funny as hell.
4/29/2013 10:28:17 AM

premium
AdamJackson 2515:186
Is it a reviewerís job to give an honest review while also offering advice? I rarely leave reviews like the one posted above but understand that everyone has their own personal style. The review-style is why I read reviews from some people when I see their avatar because I know itís going to be special (funny, thought provoking, etc)

But, when a person here reviews a beer under 2 out of 5, should they say, "The water is chalky" or "the malt bill simply doesnít add up with the bitterness" etc?

I assume every brewer will read what I write so I try to be courteous but that doesnít always work out when iím WBW
4/29/2013 10:28:31 AM

premium
3fourths 7976:1269
Originally posted by t0rin0

you lose a little bit of your objectivity and I could see why someone might accuse you of making a joke rather than a serious rating.

^ agreed here. iím guilty of this as many people here are, but when I find old ratings with these sorts of comments I do try to clean them up and make them more informative. BJCP has helped in that regard. iíve become more interested in giving feedback on possible flaws, but sometimes a beer does taste and smell like fatty hot dog meat and animal dung...
4/29/2013 10:29:33 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by t0rin0

^ agreed here. iím guilty of this as many people here are, but when I find old ratings with these sorts of comments I do try to clean them up and make them more informative. BJCP has helped in that regard. iíve become more interested in giving feedback on possible flaws, but sometimes a beer does taste and smell like fatty hot dog meat and animal dung...

Yeah, but why?
4/29/2013 10:34:02 AM

premium
brokensail 10728:811
The review is admittedly very harsh and I guess one might say unprofessional. I do not deny that.

There were probably other things I could have written to get my point(s) across, but I didnít.

And my reasoning for posting the message wasnít because it offended me or made me angry, but because I found it comical that the brewery representative decided to call me classless and then attack me in a personal, classless manner.
4/29/2013 10:36:22 AM

premium
Indra 2603:73

Thanks for sharing, that is funny. WTF is a Saison Lager, anyway?

I also find it quite amusing that yours is the only rating that place has.
4/29/2013 10:36:46 AM

premium
Originally posted by adamjackson
Is it a reviewerís job to give an honest review while also offering advice?

Iíd prefer that people did not give brewing advice in their ratings, especially since it could actually be bad advice. What I was getting at was more being objective rather than trying to be funny/insulting.
4/29/2013 10:38:15 AM

vacax
I was lucky enough to partake in the W Saison Lager. I was mostly confused by the description, and was not surprised when it was terrible. Typically yeah reviews should be constructive, but when weíre talking about a horrifyingly bad beer that a brewery has no business selling to living humans... they donít deserve beating around the bush.
4/29/2013 12:13:55 PM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers