Unique Regional Beer

Reads 471 • Replies 11 • Started Monday, June 24, 2013 5:51:45 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 05:51 Mon 6/24/2013

Got my Dad to bring me a bottle of Mathers Black Beer from back home near Huddersfield. This is a drink that I have seen in many of the local pubs around there but never tried it. Plus I needed my Malt Liquor tick.

Can you think of any other beers from across the UK that fit the same bill. Being unique and regional in their style? Or just a regional style of beer?

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 07:39 Mon 6/24/2013

Gadds of Ramsgate and Goachers in Tovil pride themselves on using all Kentish ingredients in some/most of their beers.

Northern Brown Ale is a style that springs to mind

Light Milds are mostly a northern thing too aren’t they?

Burton beers with a Bruton Snatch aroma are a definite regional style.

Fin
beers 17267 º places 1653 º 08:01 Mon 6/24/2013

Yes I would say Mild as being fairly much regionalised to the West Midlands and perhaps North West, ok its made and consumed elsewhere but when you go into many a West Midlands pub and see maybe 3-4 choices of Mild and just one bitter you know that this is a stronghold for the style.

Boys Bitters? Were these weaker bitters a South East or even Essex thing predominantly? I am not sure on this and happy to be corrected.

Fin
beers 17267 º places 1653 º 08:02 Mon 6/24/2013

Actually Steve Silktork is your man for this one.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:22 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
Bruton Snatch aroma

I think I may have had some familiarity with this back in the days of my youth. Bruton is a small town in Somerset by the way.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:30 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
Gadds of Ramsgate and Goachers in Tovil pride themselves on using all Kentish ingredients in some/most of their beers.

"Kentish Ale" and "Strong Kentish Ale" are the only accredited PGIs in the UK at the moment. But it was Sheps who applied for those. Not that PGI prevents anyone else from using the indicator provided they meet whatever the criteria for the particular PGI are. Unless there is some fancy footwork of the type that was used by S & N in relation to Newcastle Brown Ale, before they made themselves look foolish by having to get the PGI status cancelled.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 10:52 Mon 6/24/2013

Yeah but I couldn’t bring myself to claim Sheps as being regionally interesting.

rpattinson
beers 84 º 12:24 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by Fin
Yes I would say Mild as being fairly much regionalised to the West Midlands and perhaps North West, ok its made and consumed elsewhere but when you go into many a West Midlands pub and see maybe 3-4 choices of Mild and just one bitter you know that this is a stronghold for the style.

Boys Bitters? Were these weaker bitters a South East or even Essex thing predominantly? I am not sure on this and happy to be corrected.

Boys Bitter is a Southwest thing. Things like Palmers BB. I thought it was almost disappeared.

I’ve seen it argued that they were more like Light Milds than Bitter. Not so sure about that, but they were in the same strength/price bracket as Mild.

The Southeast was more AK country. Had that survived longer, it would have ended up around the same gravity, 1030-1032º. But few AK’s made it past WW II.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:41 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by rpattinson
Boys Bitter is a Southwest thing. Things like Palmers BB. I thought it was almost disappeared.

I’ve seen it argued that they were more like Light Milds than Bitter. Not so sure about that, but they were in the same strength/price bracket as Mild.

Yes, I’m pretty sure Palmers BB finally disappeared a few years ago. There’s always Arkells BB of course but I think they partigyle everything so describing it as a light mild might be a stretch.

Of course rather more "boys strength" beers have appeared in the last couple of years but that’s just to take advatage of the 2.8% duty band.

Fin
beers 17267 º places 1653 º 14:00 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by rpattinson
Originally posted by Fin

The Southeast was more AK country. Had that survived longer, it would have ended up around the same gravity, 1030-1032º. But few AK’s made it past WW II.

Thanks for putting me straight Ron, actually as soon as I mentioned Steve (Silktork) might have something to say on this topic I also thought of your good self.

rpattinson
beers 84 º 14:01 Mon 6/24/2013

Home Brewed was another Southwestern style (mostly). A type of Strong Brown Ale.

Newark, where I grew up, was an extreme outpost for both AK (Hole’s) and Home Brewed (Warwick & Richardson).