RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

us craft exporters

read 1741 times • 25 replies • posted 2/7/2013 3:24:03 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

brewtopian 2:
I think youíll find that the vast majority of American craft beer producers can hardly make enough beer for their home markets much less markets abroad. Craft beer may be expanding but its not quite big enough to really take over the world.

You also have brands like Stone that donít want their beer exported because of the time it takes for beer to make it to market and the impact that has on quality.
2/12/2013 5:22:00 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
TimE 3145:248
Originally posted by brewtopian
I think youíll find that the vast majority of American craft beer producers can hardly make enough beer for their home markets much less markets abroad. Craft beer may be expanding but its not quite big enough to really take over the world.

You also have brands like Stone that donít want their beer exported because of the time it takes for beer to make it to market and the impact that has on quality.

Then why does Stone export? Global Craftís affiliated firm Nagano Trading handles Stone imports into Japan, both in kegs and bottles. I also thought Stone exports to Europe, but I am not sure about this point.

Though I agree with what you mentioned in general, in that many brands donít even have enough capacity to deal with the local market. Certainly there were other brands that Global Craft/Nagano Trading have dealt with in the past, but those brands stopped exporting to focus on the local market.
2/12/2013 5:51:13 PM

brewtopian 2:
I wasnít aware of Stone exports being available. Everything that Iíve read and in personal conversations with Greg Koch says that Stone is opposed to exporting but that may not be reality.

Because of our online business we get regular request for pallets of Stone and other craft beer from Europe, Asia and South America so its possible that someone is selling these beers illegally to importers and retailers in those markets. Weíve never attempted to fulfill any of these request so I canít speak to any viability.
2/12/2013 6:15:07 PM

premium
I am sure Stone is sold gray market in many parts of the world, but you should ask Greg directly which countries Stone is exported to clarify this point.
2/12/2013 7:29:59 PM

konstifik 573:36
Stone exports to Sweden and that is directly from Stone. They donít want the hoppy beers to be put on the shelves though, but stuff like the imperial stout, double bastard and vertical epics is coming to our shelves. The hoppy beers are sold to bars, and a few times per year the importer also set up pre-orders (by the crate) for them and then imports the quantity that has been ordered. Thus they are already sold before the get here and wonít have to see shelf time.

Other American breweries that are imported to Sweden (through Drikkeriget in Denmark or directly): Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, AleSmith, Napa Smith, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn, SKA, Oskar Blues, Southern Tier, Westbrook, Stillwater, Sixpoint, Cigar City, Rogue, Hoppiní Frog, Dark Horse, Green Flash, Founders, Weyerbacher, The Bruery, Captain Lawrence, Flying Dog, Uinta, North Coast, Avery, Great Divide, Left Hand, Widmer Brothers, Goose Island, Andersson Valley, Anchor, Lagunitas, Ommegang and Sam Adams. Those are out of the top of my head, Iím sure there are a few more. Of course, imports of a couple of those are limited.
2/12/2013 10:34:22 PM

premium
Wow, that is an amazing list and I was surprised to see a couple names, as those are breweries that have, in the past, indicated they wanted to focus more on the local market. I was also surprised to see Ale Smith, as I heard it was very hard to get their product on keg in So Cal. You guys are pretty damn lucky as it would be hard to one stop shop for all those names in the US.
Tim
2/13/2013 1:28:31 AM

MannyGoldberg 160:6
Originally posted by TimE
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Donít Drikkeriget have the European rights sewn up for all the desirable US brewers?

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Global Craft exports to Europe. Looking at their line-up, I donít know how you could make such a comment. http://www.globalcraft.com/craft-beer.html

Tim

Maybe Konstifikís last post helps to explain where Iím coming from. Drikkeriget seem to have a lot of very desirable hook-ups.

As for Stone itís regularly on tap in my local (not very high profile) craft pub in south London. They also have loads of bottles including things like the Anniversary IPA. Iím highly sceptical about any claims that they donít export.
2/13/2013 4:51:19 AM

RobN
To be honest I would quite happily only sell local or at least European products, I believe in fresh and local, and probably will move closer to that.
2/13/2013 8:16:15 AM

MannyGoldberg 160:6
Personally Iíd like to see more Italian beers over here. Apart for Brewfist and Birra Del Borgo I donít see much around.
2/13/2013 9:13:21 AM

RobN
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Personally Iíd like to see more Italian beers over here. Apart for Brewfist and Birra Del Borgo I donít see much around.

Have you tried Amarcord? The Espresso Porter is awesome in my opinion.
2/13/2013 12:35:29 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers