RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Using an imperial ipa yeast cake for a blonde ale a bad idea?

read 1401 times • 21 replies • posted 1/19/2013 9:44:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

heyprobrewing 31:1
Going to brew a blonde ale today. Last week I did a IIPA and am about to transfer to secondary. Anyways I used wyeast 1056 for that. Am I going to pick up some off flavors if I throw the blonde ale on top of the IIPA yeast cake.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Youíll probably pick up a bunch of unwanted bitterness due to tannins and other stuff in the cake. You may be able to wash the yeast though.
1/19/2013 10:12:11 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Ok. Yeah thatís what I was thinking. May be too lazy to wash the yeast. Read about it some time ago but havenít done it.
1/19/2013 1:48:36 PM

premium
joeneugs 3262:148
Also, youíll be over pitching putting a smaller beer on a huge yeast cake like that...
1/19/2013 1:51:39 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by heyprobrewing
Going to brew a blonde ale today. Last week I did a IIPA and am about to transfer to secondary. Anyways I used wyeast 1056 for that. Am I going to pick up some off flavors if I throw the blonde ale on top of the IIPA yeast cake.

If you want to use that yeast, rack the IIPA to a secondary and give it a couple days to clear, and THEN throw the blonde onto that yeast. Otherwise youíll run the chance of getting a fair amount of IIPA character in the blonde.

Oh, and recipes for both beers would be useful.
1/19/2013 3:21:13 PM

Originally posted by HornyDevil

If you want to use that yeast, rack the IIPA to a secondary and give it a couple days to clear, and THEN throw the blonde onto that yeast. Otherwise youíll run the chance of getting a fair amount of IIPA character in the blonde.

Sorry for no recipe. So ur saying after I rack to secondary let it sit and clear obviously. Then re-rack to a diff secondary and use the remaining yeast cake from that? Iím actually going to just wash the yeast... Which Iím doing now. Wondering though even after I wash the yeast if I will still get some additional unwanted flavors?
1/19/2013 4:37:42 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8466:508

Sorry for no recipe. So ur saying after I rack to secondary let it sit and clear obviously. Then re-rack to a diff secondary and use the remaining yeast cake from that? Iím actually going to just wash the yeast... Which Iím doing now. Wondering though even after I wash the yeast if I will still get some additional unwanted flavors?

Probably not - theyíre washed after all.
1/19/2013 4:57:43 PM

erway 1004:41

That is a really bad way to get yeast from a beer. You are basically selecting for the yeast that did not flocculate out when it should have. Resulting beer will be very cloudy for a very long time. And the esters and phenols produced by such yeast would be unpredictable at best.

But in all, this is a really bad idea. Far too much yeast that has been far too stressed out. An absolute shitload of iso-alpha acids will be left in that yeast. An enormous amount of trube.

If you told me you wanted to do a stout with that yeast... ok, maybe, but still not a great idea. With a blonde ale you are looking to make something light and delicate with absolutely zero flaws/off-flavors and this is not the way to go about it. Why not just pick up some US-05? The stuff is cheap and it makes great beer.
1/19/2013 5:47:09 PM

premium
wnoble 1251:
Just donít do it.
1/19/2013 6:57:35 PM

Thanks for the help. Like I said Iím going to wash the yeast and maybe use it for a beer of similar strength and characteristics. Just havenít reused yeast but also have heard its better to start with a lower gravity beer and then progress upward from there if u plan on reusing. Anyways. Good stuff guys I appreciate it. Cheers
1/19/2013 7:25:00 PM

premium
BMan1113VR 7863:379
At work we try not to harvest yeast from anything super high in alcohol or something that will have a Ton of hops in the turb, that says we harvest on some beers before we dry hop.

That said, I wouldnít pitch DIPA yeast to something as delicate as a blonde
1/19/2013 9:07:18 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add