RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

using an imperial ipa yeast cake for a blonde ale a bad idea?

read 1367 times • 21 replies • posted 1/19/2013 9:44:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

HornyDevil
Originally posted by erway
That is a really bad way to get yeast from a beer. You are basically selecting for the yeast that did not flocculate out when it should have. Resulting beer will be very cloudy for a very long time. And the esters and phenols produced by such yeast would be unpredictable at best.

This would be the case if all you got from racking a beer to a secondary vessel was yeast that was in suspension. However, in the real world no matter how carefully you rack, you tend to get a lot of the layer of flocculated yeast that is on top of the trub. Yeast that will do a fine job fermenting any beer.

Originally posted by erway
Why not just pick up some US-05? The stuff is cheap and it makes great beer.

This would be the best idea. Donít know why anyone would go through the trouble of washing this strain when it is so inexpensive and readily available. To each their own, I guess.
1/20/2013 5:54:04 AM

Private message send the author a private message

erway 1004:41
I know some homebrewers that work in biology labs for a living. They propogate and harvest and have a grand old time geeking out. Fine. For the rest of homebrewers, why in the world would you put all that time and energy into making a batch of beer, and then risk ruining it over $3 in yeast? Makes no sense to me at all.

Use good dry yeast when you can. Make starters when you have to. Make the best damn beer you can every time you brew.
1/20/2013 7:33:34 AM

heyprobrewing 31:1
I agree. I do realize us-05 is only about 2.99$ at my home brew shop. Iíve never reused yeast or washed it before and after reading and watching some vids last night it doesnít seem that difficult. I realize Iím not saving much money and thatís not really the case at all. Guess I wanted to geek out a little and try to wash the yeast. The big question is if I will actually get the balls to use it as I donít wanna screw up a batch.
1/20/2013 8:47:00 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by heyprobrewing
The big question is if I will actually get the balls to use it as I donít wanna screw up a batch.

Actually, if you want to "waste a batch" on experimentation, a blonde ale is a damn good candidate because the cost of making it is pretty nominal.

1/20/2013 8:50:37 AM

HornyDevil
Guess I wanted to geek out a little and try to wash the yeast.

I think that this is an integral activity to become a better brewer. Youíve got to be willing to make mistakes in order to both learn about processes and ingredients and be able to think beyond what is looked at as common knowledge and prove that knowledge to be either real or imaginary.
1/20/2013 8:59:24 AM

heyprobrewing 31:1
Originally posted by HornyDevil
The big question is if I will actually get the balls to use it as I donít wanna screw up a batch.

Actually, if you want to "waste a batch" on experimentation, a blonde ale is a damn good candidate because the cost of making it is pretty nominal.

That was my thinking initially.$20 for grain couple bucks for hops call it good.
Not so much the cost that Iím worried about. Nothing worse then spending all that time to make a "turd" beer.
1/20/2013 9:44:01 AM

robrules 1
After doing some side by sides, I find pitching fresh yeast will give your beer cleaner, more distinctive flavors than pitching on a yeast cake - and for a blonde ale, that is kind of important. Pitching on a cake can also lead to more blowoff and temps getting out of control due to fast/furious fermentation.

I used to reuse the yest cake all the time and didnít think it effected my beer all that much, until I compared them on a few split 10 gal. batches.

Blonde ale shouldnít require more than one pack of us-05, a couple of extra bucks is worth it to pitch new yeast.
1/21/2013 8:43:14 AM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Originally posted by robrules
After doing some side by sides, I find pitching fresh yeast will give your beer cleaner, more distinctive flavors than pitching on a yeast cake - and for a blonde ale, that is kind of important. Pitching on a cake can also lead to more blowoff and temps getting out of control due to fast/furious fermentation.

I used to reuse the yest cake all the time and didnít think it effected my beer all that much, until I compared them on a few split 10 gal. batches.

What batches were you testing? My hope is that by going bigger and hoppier on the second batch you wouldnít notice any issues. So to the OP he just planned poorly and should have done it the other way round.
1/21/2013 9:14:09 AM

robrules 1
9%+ barleywines
1/24/2013 8:58:15 AM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Originally posted by robrules
9%+ barleywines

And the first use of the yeast was also a barleywine or a smaller beer?
1/24/2013 9:42:31 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add