RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Using Cooling Units in a Beer Cellar...$$$$$

read 7295 times • 74 replies • posted 4/16/2012 5:35:48 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
AdamJackson 2343:181

Itís summer so my cellar will soon be at 75 Degrees unless I can keep it cool. Itís a well insulated room that keeps lower if I put an evaporative air unit like a Humidifier in there but thatís only around 70 Degrees F.

I looked at AC units. They all require a window vent and every 4 hours changing of a water pan.

I need a self-standing AC unit that requires zero maintenances and no ventilation through a window that will keep a 30 square foot room at 55 Degrees F year round. I donít wanna touch the thing once itís setup.

I found a few professional Wine cellar units that keep the rooms cold, are self standing / mountable and donít require any vent or water changing but they are $700-$1500. I canít afford that. Is there a cheaper option?
Private message Send the author a private message

levifunk 12:
They all require ventalation of some sort. Thatís physics.
4/16/2012 5:51:49 PM

Private message send the author a private message

lithy 2996:156
Originally posted by adamjackson
Itís summer

I must have been asleep for a while.
4/16/2012 6:04:21 PM

kdmcguire10 18:1
Is this room walled off from the other part of the floor on which it rests? My cellar is essentially like a big closet in the basement. The cooling Unit I have mounts above the door, so it vents into the main living area of the basement.
4/16/2012 6:05:09 PM

premium
b3shine 5123:261
Buy a beer fridge. No need to reinvent the wheel. You should be able to get a used one for around $200-300.
4/16/2012 6:10:28 PM

premium
Forgetfu
We considered venting mine into a utility room which would have been fine.

I ended up connectiong to an old water heater vent pipe and venting it outside (i had previously replaced the water heater with a tankless, so the old pipe wasnít in use and made a perfect exhause for my AC unit). That said, thereís no reason you canít vent it into another room as kdmcguire10 previously mentioned.
4/16/2012 6:59:32 PM

wavers1 872:40
look into a direct mount unit like one from larkin. they have them so that you use a water in and out, a huge intercooler, and several fans right against it, circulating only the air in the room. this is what they use at the wine storage unit i rent. it doesnt have an air in and air out, only larger water in and out. might make it simpler for you. also, they mount hanging from the ceiling, and dont take up any floor room. and they obviously work well. low daily maintanence. but you are still gonna be looking at increased electric and water bills to some degree.
4/16/2012 7:06:01 PM

wavers1 872:40
4/16/2012 7:07:59 PM

premium
OldStyleCubFan 77:15
Iíve got a very large closet and an expensive wine room cooler (íGrand Cruí). Its a pain in the ass with the noise and condensation issues. Fuck the cellar. Buy a big wine fridge you can temp control for beer (with white/red settings). If you max it out, youíve got enough beer. Do you really need more than about 50 bottles of cellarble beer? If you think so, review this thread in 5 years and you will kick yourself in the nuts for keeping more beer longer than you should have.
4/16/2012 7:09:31 PM

crosamich 431:17
Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan
If you max it out, youíve got enough beer. Do you really need more than about 50 bottles of cellarble beer? If you think so, review this thread in 5 years and you will kick yourself in the nuts for keeping more beer longer than you should have.

Classic
4/16/2012 8:01:35 PM

premium
AdamJackson 2343:181
I have 400 bottles in my cellar after 3 months of entering the world of craft beer. Tonight, I have buckets of ice water in front of fans to keep the rook below 70. Iím legit in fear of losing some things I worked hard to get. I guess Iíll have to figure some way to vent a unit.

Itís an insulated closet with no windows or connection to the outside.

This is the room -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/7055468439/in/photostream/lightbox/. It goes around the corner to many more shelves completely full of beer. No way to out in a cooling unit without cutting a hole in the door.
4/16/2012 8:08:07 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers