Using gelatin to clear a beer....

Reads 7240 • Replies 23 • Started Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:23:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 17:23 Tue 9/25/2012

I have a hoppy pale fermented with 100% brett b trois that I would like to keg up quickly and get looking pretty fast in order to take advantage of the great fruit profile. There is quite a lot of suspended yeast (and other particulates) in the beer still, even though the gravity is about where I want it (1.005 at last reading).

I was thinking of using gelatin to help clarify it, but have never used any fining agent in my beer before. I had read that gelatin can significantly alter the flavor profile of the beer (removing yeast, hop particulates, etc), and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for or against using this.

Thanks!

HornyDevil
17:37 Tue 9/25/2012

Originally posted by CLevar
I have a hoppy pale fermented with 100% brett b trois that I would like to keg up quickly and get looking pretty fast in order to take advantage of the great fruit profile. There is quite a lot of suspended yeast (and other particulates) in the beer still, even though the gravity is about where I want it (1.005 at last reading).

I was thinking of using gelatin to help clarify it, but have never used any fining agent in my beer before. I had read that gelatin can significantly alter the flavor profile of the beer (removing yeast, hop particulates, etc), and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for or against using this.

First let me say that I’ve never used gelatin or any other post-kettle fining agent, so I won’t be much help to you there.

However, it begs the question of why would you want to do this, taking into consideration that you will make this beer much less hoppy by doing so?

CLevar
places 23 º 17:49 Tue 9/25/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by CLevar

First let me say that I’ve never used gelatin or any other post-kettle fining agent, so I won’t be much help to you there.

However, it begs the question of why would you want to do this, taking into consideration that you will make this beer much less hoppy by doing so?

Hence my question. I don’t actually know how much "less hoppy" this will make the beer. I know that it will remove hop particulates which is desirable(read; I didn’t use a hop bag at any stage, and the fermentor is full of hop pieces from the dry hop). As far as I know, it should not remove soluble or very small insoluble compounds, which may mean that at least some/most of the alpha acids, etc are retained in solution. I could be off here though, which is why I am asking for help.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 19:32 Tue 9/25/2012

Cold crash it to drop out whatever you dont want. Then use a filter, and force carb it. Clarifying agents are for chumps. Time, temp, and gravity will clear all beers. For everything else, use a filter.

CLevar
places 23 º 19:37 Tue 9/25/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy
Cold crash it to drop out whatever you dont want. Then use a filter, and force carb it. Clarifying agents are for chumps. Time, temp, and gravity will clear all beers. For everything else, use a filter.

Nowhere did I say I have a filter. It would be a non-issue if in fact I did have a filter.

As for time, I would really like to get this serving ASAP to take advantage of the wonderful aromatics this beer currently has, so that seems to defeat the purpose.

Hence, my question about gelatin.

It seems like the general consensus is "Don’t use it", in which case I am fine drinking cloudy and very tasty beer.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 20:00 Tue 9/25/2012

I couldn’t disagree more. Findings are a great way to take out the extra crap. I’d recommend super clear kc. Within 48hrs you’ll have a good looking beer without stripping anything else out.

CLevar
places 23 º 20:10 Tue 9/25/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

I couldn’t disagree more. Findings are a great way to take out the extra crap. I’d recommend super clear kc. Within 48hrs you’ll have a good looking beer without stripping anything else out.

Thanks!

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:49 Tue 9/25/2012

Isinglass.

I’ve never tried it personally, but you should and then report back.

Danko
04:35 Wed 9/26/2012

It’s too late now of course but throwing in protafloc at the end of the boil along with filtering through something like a sanitized muslin- or nylon bag when transfering to the fermenter goes a really long way if you’re also force carbonating and letting the beer sit and settle.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 05:25 Wed 9/26/2012

Cut an inch off your dip tube. You will miss most of anything left in the keg when serving.

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 06:26 Wed 9/26/2012

Originally posted by Danko
...filtering through something like a sanitized muslin- or nylon bag when transfering to the fermenter goes a really long way...

A similar po-boy solution I use is wrapping a little cheesecloth around the racking tube when transferring to the bottling bucket.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer