RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Using gelatin to clear a beer....

read 3064 times • 23 replies • posted 9/25/2012 5:23:29 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

seymour 1320:44
Originally posted by kiefdog
...I use the approach that someone posted here a while back -- take 8 ounces of RO water, place in a sanitized glass measuring cup and add the required amount of gelatin (I think it is 1/2 TB). Let that sit at room temp for 30-60 minutes with plastic wrap over it, then pop it into the microwave for 90 seconds. Many of the gelatin containers from homebrew shops say to boil the gelatin, but I think someone posted here that doing so denatures it. After the 90 second heating in the micro, throw into secondary, stir everything really well with a sanitized spoon then wait about two more days. I usually cold crash my beer for two days, add the gelatin, then let it sit at serving temp (38) for two more days before kegging...

Good, actionable stuff. Thank you very much, kiefdog!
9/27/2012 10:26:42 AM

Private message send the author a private message

chils
From Greg Noonan "New brewing lager"

1. Fine after the beer has fermented out, colder than 50F--closer to freezing is better for 7-14 days

2. a. 1/8 tsp per 2 oz water per gallon of beer, so 5/8 tsp/10oz water per 5 gal batch, mix cold, cover and hydrate 1 hr.

b. Heat to 150-160f , do not let cool below 120F and add to beer
10/2/2012 5:14:37 AM

CLevar 376:9
Originally posted by seymour
Originally posted by kiefdog
...I use the approach that someone posted here a while back -- take 8 ounces of RO water, place in a sanitized glass measuring cup and add the required amount of gelatin (I think it is 1/2 TB). Let that sit at room temp for 30-60 minutes with plastic wrap over it, then pop it into the microwave for 90 seconds. Many of the gelatin containers from homebrew shops say to boil the gelatin, but I think someone posted here that doing so denatures it. After the 90 second heating in the micro, throw into secondary, stir everything really well with a sanitized spoon then wait about two more days. I usually cold crash my beer for two days, add the gelatin, then let it sit at serving temp (38) for two more days before kegging...

Planning on doing almost exactly this in a day or so. I will report back.
Good, actionable stuff. Thank you very much, kiefdog!
10/2/2012 6:15:37 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add