RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Using RateBeer scores in marketing

read 3492 times • 33 replies • posted 5/16/2013 3:33:17 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
levifunk 12:
ok, got it. theratebeer.com
5/16/2013 9:36:40 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Brouwerij 942:40
As many have stated here, I appreciate the tags and think they can be very helpful. This is especially true now that I no longer have a smart phone and canít look things up on the fly. However, as with anything, I think they should be taken with a grain of salt. There are plenty of ratings on this site I donít completely agree with and if I only purchased beers that claimed high RB ratings, I would end up with some beers I didnít personally enjoy. They are a good tool but shouldnít be used as an end all.

I think stores should continue to post the scores, but it would be a shame to see everyoneís selections slowly shift towards what ranks highest. People should take into account the score, the style, and their personal experience when picking a beer.
6/4/2013 3:56:18 PM

premium
3fourths 8228:1352

printed onto the label. the mention comes from Josh Oakesí EOY 2004 awards
http://www.alutis.lt/news/news.php?id=1486
6/4/2013 4:23:28 PM

premium
admin
joet 2219:93
Originally posted by Brouwerij
I think they should be taken with a grain of salt. There are plenty of ratings on this site I donít completely agree with and if I only purchased beers that claimed high RB ratings, I would end up with some beers I didnít personally enjoy.

I wish I could explain this to consumer buyers a but more easily.

You will get "false positives", in that the beer in bottle may have been damaged or mishandled, or your tastes might not match up with our seasoned tasters.

On the contrary though, you will get fewer "false negatives". The number of times that you will buy a low scoring beer and it turn out great or even good will be very small. This is also a valuable service. I know this doesnít convert well to shelf tags though.

Because WE SHOULD ALL be very concerned that the buying experience is a positive one for new craft beer consumers, and the chances that people buy bad beer they donít like increases with every new brewer that goes online, I AM STRONGLY behind use of our apps in the marketplace.

I want the craft beer tide to remain very high and growing. And I know that RateBeer, which actually gains/loses very little from our app use, WILL HELP ALL BOATS by making the consumer experience more positive.
6/4/2013 9:08:10 PM

finn1918 198:12
Originally posted by levifunk
ok, got it. theratebeer.com

http://www.cheesecommunity.com/ ?

Seriously though, I have never seen a store use a RB shelftag with a score lower than 97. They wonít put a score of 80 for a pils or dry stout, even if itís in the 100th percentile by style.

To clarify though, I have only seen two stores ever use shelftags. Total Wine used to have tags from RB and BA, but now donít have anything as their beer selection sinks further and further into disrepair. The other one only has shelf tags up for about 10 beers, all of which are rated 97-100.

Iíve just gotten into the habit of checking everything before I buy it. Saved me from a few blunders on multiple occasions!
6/5/2013 10:32:47 AM

premium
legion242 2266:116
Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by erway
That being said, Whole Foods and Total Wine will only allow Beeradvocate. No idea why, but thatís the rule.

Where? Total Wine in Socal is finally running RateBeer after being BeerAdvocate for many years. Whole Foods in three major US regions has had a long standing relationship with RateBeer and they used our tags fairly exclusively.

This.
Here in the Southwest region we use RB only.
6/5/2013 10:36:17 AM

premium
admin
Originally posted by finn1918
Seriously though, I have never seen a store use a RB shelftag with a score lower than 97. They wonít put a score of 80 for a pils or dry stout, even if itís in the 100th percentile by style.

Iíve seen a variety of practices but then again, I check up on a lot of this personally and get photos occasionally.

Best practices are: rotating in tags on what you want to highlight, not tagging everything, using style scores effectively, using tags to educate customers and managing score versus score issues on the shelf among "competitors".
6/5/2013 11:32:55 AM

premium
daknole 9437:400
The Whole Foods here use RB. They even have separate displays for beers that score high here on RB.
6/5/2013 2:21:07 PM

premium
admin
Originally posted by daknole
The Whole Foods here use RB. They even have separate displays for beers that score high here on RB.

Yep, weíve kept a close relationship with Whole Foods and are proud to be have our tags displayed in their stores.
6/5/2013 2:33:04 PM

premium
BrewtopiaofPJ 37:4
I post only RateBeer scores on my shelves and check the numbers at least twice a year. I agree with prior postings that the consumer is not the most beer savvy, the RB shelf tags are a MUST for any beer seller, especially if the guy selling you beer is also not beer savvy. (Not here, out there :-)
6/5/2013 2:39:52 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers