RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Vanilla

read 907 times • 11 replies • posted 1/19/2013 8:30:16 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
StefanSD 2015:45
Iíve only used once, and that was to an imperial stout, later this month I plan on brewing a chocolate porter with some distinct vanilla character, so Iíd like to revisit this addition. Thoughts on when to add vanilla, how much and what type to use. Extract or whole bean? Is Madagascar whole bean better than Indonesian whole bean? Add to boil, primary, or bottling bucket? Last time I added tsp of cooking extract to the bottling bucket and it was OK, but Iím not content this is the best way to go.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
AdamJackson 2100:177
Iím not an expert nor do I have experience with this but I did spend about 2 hours researching this for my latest imperial stout. I went with madagascar whole vanilla beans at the local Co-Op. Paid $10 for two beans

After all of the reading, I ended up just slicing the beans open and adding them to a gallon ziplock with medium charred white oak spirals and about 10 ounces of Blantonís single barrel bourbon.

I heard keep it in there for a week and then dump the entire thing in the keg. Iím going to use a mesh hop bag, boil the bag, then put the beans and spirals in there and then put that in the keg for 4 weeks and dump the bourbon in the keg as well. This is what I ended up doing after researching. The recipe is a 13% RIS with a hint of chocolate, crystal malts and some smoked malts.

So thatís all I have for you....Iíve heard of guys putting extract in the boil or just in the primary.
1/19/2013 8:36:14 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Quasimodo 217:
I recently added three split beans to the BK for 15 minutes and didnít very much vanilla in the beer, but it smelled great during the boil.
1/19/2013 9:01:34 AM

premium
Unclerudy 12:3
You need alcohol to get the most flavor from vanilla. The boil is a waste. Find done bourbon you like, and soak them in that. Add to the keg.
1/19/2013 9:48:20 AM

NobleSquirrel 3437:209
The best experience Iíve had from a vanilla addition was a cask of foreign stout with about 12 split beans added to it. Fantastic and fresh vanilla profile. Boiling will just kill the aromatics. Adding post fermentation is ideal. And a booze soak isnt really necessary. As to wood additions, I was at a talk with a cooler a year ago and he commented that at about 6 weeks youíll get maximum penetration into the wood
1/19/2013 10:23:22 AM

ucusty 2691:52
Originally posted by Unclerudy
You need alcohol to get the most flavor from vanilla. The boil is a waste. Find done bourbon you like, and soak them in that. Add to the keg.

exactly this
1/19/2013 10:24:10 AM

robrules 1
My vanilla porter (abt 7% abv) uses two beans (for 5gal) split, scraped, and chopped soaked in just enough vodka to cover for a week. Dump the whole lot into secondary with the solids in a bag and let it sit for two weeks. Quite noticeable vanilla flavor but not over the top.

I have just dumped extract from trader joeís in a keg and it wasnít quite the same - flavor not as integrated as above.

Costco has a good deal on beans, but I think you have to buy like 10+ of them in a package. Penzyís is a good source for beans too without getting ripped off.
1/21/2013 9:07:42 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by robrules
My vanilla porter

I thought you only brewed beer-flavored beer, brah?
1/21/2013 9:21:11 AM

elkhunter36 10
We cut whole beans into 1" links and add to secondary.
1/21/2013 9:34:59 AM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by Unclerudy

Unless you also want the bourbon flavor, Iíd go with vodka. What youíre making is a tincture.
1/21/2013 7:12:50 PM

robrules 1
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by robrules
My vanilla porter

I thought you only brewed beer-flavored beer, brah?

Itís a Christmas time special. Havenít made it in about 3 years though.
1/23/2013 8:00:36 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add