Visiting Allagash, Maine

Reads 1199 • Replies 3 • Started Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:35:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ElDuderino
beers 183 º places 6 º 09:35 Wed 2/16/2011

Hello,

I’m a West coast transplant and have been living in Boston for 5 years now, but have still never made a beer trip up to Maine. I wanted to get people’s take on a few things:

- How is the tour at Allagash? Do they have a nice brewpub or is there some place close that is better?
- How crazy are special release days at Allagash? Crazy like Kate the Great days? Can you take a tour on those days too?
- What other beer bars are worth traveling to in that area? It’s a long drive, so is there enough to justify an overnight stay?

Thanks everyone!!

Travis

RCL
beers 2032 º places 7 º 09:52 Wed 2/16/2011

Well, all the Allagash releases lately have been quietly announced the very day they happen, so there tends to be more of a steady trickle in rather than lines out the door at 3AM.

As for a brewpub, Allagash doesn’t have one but Portsmouth is right on the way and The Lion’s Pride is only about a half hour away.

Duhast500
beers 414 º places 10 º 23:14 Wed 2/16/2011

I went up during the summer and picked up a few tings from the gift shop but was dying to take the tour with the coolship and all. I will be going back this summer for sure. Portland is not too far from the brewery and there are many great places to get a good beer. I recommend Gritty McDuff’s a good brewpub with good food.

Cheers,

SuIIy
beers 1984 º places 53 º 04:39 Fri 3/11/2011

Portland is an awesome city with some great restaurants. I highly recommend Novare Res as a must visit for beer. They had a Cantillion on tap when I went along with tons of other good stuff. Cool outdoor patio if the weather is nice as well.

Portsmouth Brew Pub is also a must visit on your way up. Hopefully you get this in time. Gritty’s is fun, but the beer quality is avg at best.

I just got an email this morning about the Vrienden release on april 5th. Allagash collabortation with New Belgium. 10$ bottles (limit 2) available that day only at the brewery.