Visiting in August

Reads 1911 • Replies 12 • Started Saturday, July 13, 2013 9:12:31 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 09:12 Sat 7/13/2013

Greetings. I’m vsiting New Zealand for the first time in August, and I’m finishing up the itinerary now. I’ve read the other visitors’ forum posts, and looked through the Places section. Would love to meet anyone for a beer, I’m leaving my schedule very flexible.

Arriving Auckland 31 July, prob just hit Galbraith’s, then heading to Hamilton to hook up with nate2g at the Good George a day or so later.
Driving to Rotorua then Nelson then Wellington. Hoping to be in Wellington by 6 August for a Beervana volunteer event.
Volunteering for Beervana in Wellington 9-10 August.
11-17 Aug, more or less, on the South Island, mainly Nelson, Blenheim, Christchurch.
Plans get a bit fuzzy after that, since I may try to visit New Caledonia or Fiji briefly before flying out of Auckland on 23 August.

Hope to see some folks there! Any advice beyond what’s already on Ratebeer would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gene

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 06:01 Wed 7/17/2013

By the way, I will be doing my 1,000th place rating at the Good George in Hamilton, starting on 1 August, in case anyone would like to join me and nate2g:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=30111

Stew41
beers 2523 º places 298 º 04:04 Tue 7/23/2013

I would have a look a Brothers Beer in Auckland. 20 odd taps of very good beer and located on the cusp of the city. It goes without saying that Wellington is awesome and for the most part the listings on RB are a very fair reflection of the quality.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 04:10 Tue 7/23/2013

Originally posted by Stew41
I would have a look a Brothers Beer in Auckland. 20 odd taps of very good beer and located on the cusp of the city. It goes without saying that Wellington is awesome and for the most part the listings on RB are a very fair reflection of the quality.
sounds good, thanks!

sm89walt
beers 2773 º places 46 º 13:45 Sun 7/28/2013

It seems I will just miss you, Gene. Flying into Auckland on August 2 and staying for around a year travelling on through the islands.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 05:06 Wed 7/31/2013

Originally posted by sm89walt
It seems I will just miss you, Gene. Flying into Auckland on August 2 and staying for around a year travelling on through the islands.
then we will overlap. I’m in Auckland now, heading to Haamilton tomorrow. I’ll arrive in Wellington on 6 August and I’ll stay there for a week. Meet in Wellington maybe?

LS9192
13:33 Sat 9/14/2013

any plans to come to dunedin?

LS9192
13:34 Sat 9/14/2013

any plans to come to dunedin?

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 19:50 Sun 9/15/2013

Sorry, I’b back in the States already. Unfortunately I didn’t make it to Dunedin. Which means I must make it there on my next trip, so I’ll be back.

omega
beers 899 º 02:44 Tue 9/24/2013

Missed this one. Out of interest how did you find our beers? Personally I think we have some great brewers, but alas with how the system works on RB they never rise to great highs because not enough people get to try them. In saying that though I have had to concede defeat and give up on the "American beer is like making love in a canoe" analogy.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 06:47 Tue 9/24/2013

Originally posted by omega
Missed this one. Out of interest how did you find our beers? Personally I think we have some great brewers, but alas with how the system works on RB they never rise to great highs because not enough people get to try them. In saying that though I have had to concede defeat and give up on the "American beer is like making love in a canoe" analogy.
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, loved working at Beervana. My favorite beers were from Garage Project, Hallertau, Brothers, Tuatara, Renaissance, Shunter’s Yard. My favorite places were mostly in Christchurch and Wellington. Best thing about the visit, though, was the people - here in DC, the douchebag to citizen ratio is very high, so it was nice to meet genuinely friendly people for a change.

The beer scene itself reminded me of the UK when it was just on the cusp of craft beer. So if things continue to evolve in New Zealand the way that the UK has, then great things will emerge. It was really exciting to see new small breweries like Brothers, Garage Proj, Shunter’s Yard, etc.