Visiting

Reads 1603 • Replies 8 • Started Monday, June 4, 2012 7:05:26 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 07:05 Mon 6/4/2012

Does anyone from NZ still post in here? Headed to New Zealand end of year; so after recommendations! Have already pinned a variety of stuff on google maps but inside knowledge usually best!

nate2g
beers 1548 º places 1290 º 14:27 Tue 6/5/2012

I’ve been living here for the past few months, working with a microbrewery in the South Island.

What’s your planned itinerary? Some exciting stuff going on the beer front at the moment (and has been for some years now). I’ll post suggestions when I get some free time later.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 01:57 Thu 6/7/2012

Thanks Nate. I’m in Auckland over new year, then rotorua and wellington. Have a week on south island but only really going down as far as christchurch. plans can change though!

yalnikim
beers 800 º places 9 º 17:59 Mon 9/10/2012

www.beertourist.co.nz is a good start, as is www.craftbeercapital.com

Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch will be a good trip for good beer!

omega
beers 899 º 01:13 Thu 9/13/2012

Auckland does not have too many craft breweries, and a lot of the bars are "owned" by the big brewers who make generic alcoholic liquid. There are however a few bastions of good beer. Hallertau in Kumeu (20 minute drive west of Auckland) is a good stop but make sure you take a sober driver, Galbraiths in the city brews their own beers and has a good selection of single malts as well. There are also other bars like Andrew Andrew and Brew on Quay which maybe of interest. For bottleshops my local is Newmarket Liquorland which has one of the largest selections of good beers in Auckland (though I am biased because I work there!).

Rotorua (or RotoVegas as it is more commonly known) is not much of a beer Mecca, though check out Croucher and chat to Paul and Nigel.

Wellington is considered to the Capital of Beer so many good brews to be had. Check out Hashigozake who import a lot of beers as well as have a good selection of NZ beers available as well.

Christchurch has more breweries so I am sure the selected bars should have something to offer. Bit too far south for me!

Let me know if you need more info.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 18:54 Sat 9/29/2012

cheers for the info guys! looking forward to it. Will try to take in new good george brewery in Hamilton too

Wellingtrony
beers 2 º places 2 º 19:16 Sat 9/29/2012

Auckland: hallertau, galbraiths
Hamilton: good George, house on hood
Wellington: hop garden, Malthouse, parrot dog, tuatara
Nelson: founders
Blenheim: Moa
Christchurch: 3 boys, classless & sons, pomeroys

omega
beers 899 º 01:26 Wed 11/21/2012

Did you make it down under?

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 15:31 Sun 12/2/2012

@omega its not until january! Been making more plans today too.

Edit: had a great time and tried some excellent beers (and some not so good) rates to follow!