RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Volume Loss During Primary Fermentation

read 2372 times • 11 replies • posted 11/25/2012 8:15:15 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

kiefdog 1826:120
I was wondering if any of you brewing have experienced this situation. Iíve been brewing with starters for quite a long time, as I tend to brew bigger beers like barleywines and imperial stouts. For the really big beers like the imperial stout I brewed on Friday (OG was 1.115 on that one), I made a starter of about 3 cups DME to 3 cups water and pitched one package of Wyeast 1028 London Ale into the starter wort (and yes, I smacked the package to release the nutrients). That usually results in a starter of about 1.040 or so and seems to really get the yeast going. I pitched the entire starter into the wort (collected just under 5 gallons and this resulted in being just over 5 gallons after the starter addition) and fermentation began in less than three hours in my 6.5 gallon carboy. By 5 hours after I pitched I needed to install a blow-off tube and as a result of the vigorous fermentation, I have lost at least a quart of wort/foam through the blow-off tube. Seems like the beer is settling down now, but do any of you experience this same problem -- that is, losing beer volume through the blow-off tube? One friend suggested that I might be overpitching in these big beers, so I am trying to find a happy medium between quick fermentation and not losing beer volume to the vigorous fermentation. Thanks for any thoughts you have!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
CLevar 375:10
There are a few additives that seem to help keep blowoff down. I had been having trouble with certain "top cropping" strains, even with 2-4 gal of headspace in a 15 gal carboy, but "Fermcap" seemed to really help with those problems. I have not noticed any off flavors, etc.
11/25/2012 10:06:56 AM

Private message send the author a private message

oteyj 2130:14
Yep, Fermcap works wonders.
11/25/2012 1:18:42 PM

kiefdog 1826:120
Sounds great! Thanks for the responses. I was having a bit of trouble with foaming while aerating with pure oxygen, so my guess is that this will help with that foaming as well....
11/25/2012 1:52:04 PM

Thatís normal, its easy to overdo O2. It shouldnít cause problems with over foaming though.

Over aerating can cause yeast health problems down the road if you harvest yeast. No need to go more than a minute with a stone and pure O2.
11/25/2012 2:00:36 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Vigorous top-cropping yeasts just need a lot of head space, especially for big beers. If your not going to get a bigger fermentor, fermcap is the only solution other than brewing smaller batches. Unless you are experiencing almost no lag time or pitching on a whole yeast cake, you probably arenít over-pitching.
11/25/2012 4:04:27 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Usually the blowoff looks worse than it is.
I typically donít lose a lot of volume.
11/25/2012 7:00:50 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Out of curiosity, why add the whole starter? I always decant to reduce dilution. Plus, starters can produce a more estery product, in my experience, as I tend to ferment starters warmer than primaries to aid with growth. That coupled with increased oxygen due to use of a stirplate lead me to decant...
11/26/2012 9:06:56 AM

I always decant my starters due to using a stir plate. That starter wort is oxidized and nasty.
11/28/2012 2:12:42 PM

premium
BenH 2140:6
What did you mean when you say you decant your starter? Iíve not heard of this.
11/28/2012 2:28:21 PM

premium
CLevar 375:10
Originally posted by BenH
What did you mean when you say you decant your starter? Iíve not heard of this.

Cold crash, let the yeast settle out, pour off 90% or more of the liquid, resuspend the yeast, and pitch that resuspension.
11/28/2012 2:54:41 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add