We have very few styles

Reads 1876 • Replies 29 • Started Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:19:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 23:19 Thu 4/14/2016

Apparently the Brewers Association is up to 152 styles
https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/2016-beer-style-guidelines/

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 23:33 Thu 4/14/2016

Even the rigid BJCP is up to about 121. I wouldn’t mind more styles on here actually.

Oakes
admin
beers 30657 º places 1135 º 23:39 Thu 4/14/2016

More styles!

Not that I’m opposed to that, but competition guides have a million styles because they literally need to cover every base for the purposes of judging. They err on the side of overlap. We just list them for information and comparison purposes. So, totally different mandate. We actually have tags that can add another 75 or so, based on the survey I did last fall for RB Best.

A few more wouldn’t kill us or anything - I think we talked about White IPA and IPL a lot. But then, a few less wouldn’t kill us either.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 23:49 Thu 4/14/2016

I was being sarcastic, 152 is a bit over the top.

RB is obviously most conservative.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 00:01 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by OakesA few more wouldn’t kill us or anything - I think we talked about White IPA and IPL a lot.

I think there needs to be more styles within the Sour/Wild beer category.

For example...separate the Brett beers from the sours. I see tons of fruited Brett beers, dry hopped Brett beers, spiced Brett beers, etc...coming out on a weekly basis here in my market, yet all these beers are usually put under the Sour/Wild category which is not really accurate or specific enough. The beer landscape is changing fast here. Granted that may not be the case in most places, but that’s what I’m seeing here. I think the BJCP actually did a passable job this go around of acknowledging these emerging styles in the 2015 update.

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 07:10 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by joeneugs
Originally posted by OakesA few more wouldn’t kill us or anything - I think we talked about White IPA and IPL a lot.

I think there needs to be more styles within the Sour/Wild beer category.

For example...separate the Brett beers from the sours. I see tons of fruited Brett beers, dry hopped Brett beers, spiced Brett beers, etc...coming out on a weekly basis here in my market, yet all these beers are usually put under the Sour/Wild category which is not really accurate or specific enough. The beer landscape is changing fast here. Granted that may not be the case in most places, but that’s what I’m seeing here. I think the BJCP actually did a passable job this go around of acknowledging these emerging styles in the 2015 update.

I would love to see the addition of a Brett Beer category and a Fruited Sour category. As far as Brett Beer goes, a lot are not sour and being classified as sour is actually misleading. When I do add a brett beer, I am more inclined to put it into another style, such as Brett IPA in IPA and Brett Stout in Stout and so on. These beers aren’t sour in many instances and do not warrang classification as such. What are others’ thoughts on this? Have there been Admin discussions around it?

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 07:17 Fri 4/15/2016

^^^ could you simply separate "sour" and "wild"?

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 07:36 Fri 4/15/2016

Gose should be its own style on ratebeer, and should count as a sour for sourheads. It’s basically a slightly bigger berliner with salt and coriander, and berliners count. I’ve said this to other admin who have agreed with me, but nothing has been done about it.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 07:59 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by b3shine
Gose should be its own style on ratebeer, and should count as a sour for sourheads. It’s basically a slightly bigger berliner with salt and coriander, and berliners count. I’ve said this to other admin who have agreed with me, but nothing has been done about it.

count me in to support this

GTAEgeek
beers 5640 º places 552 º 08:07 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by b3shine

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/grodziskie-gose-lichtenhainer/117/

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 08:12 Fri 4/15/2016

Could there be a way to add a beer’s Brewer’s Association and/or BJCP style to it’s official Ratebeer description?