Weird Beer Styles

Reads 5554 • Replies 48 • Started Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:46:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheHorizon
beers 1 º 18:47 Mon 6/21/2010

Originally posted by Rustyham
Here’s a crazy idea-

Roasted malt Hefe (just roast the wheat)

Pale Stout (roast the shit out of pale malt)

Smoked Fruit beer (Dates)

What do you guys think would be weird, but possibly delicious?

I like this line of thinking, and feel you can be as creative as you wish (just keep the brewing clean, and use some logic when crafting the recipe). Really poor outcomes sometimes improve with age.

I am thinking of making a geuze (fruitless lambic sour) with bourbon-soaked oak chips that were toasted bone dry, but am thinking to add a clove, a pinch of cinnamon, and some corriander to help connect/blend the sour flavors of the lambic and the sharp/vanilla flavors of the bourbon oak chips.

How bout a hoppy, roasty/chocolately/imperial-stout-like (possibly carbonated) mead (honey wine)?

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 19:31 Mon 6/21/2010

Rosemary wheat.

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 19:41 Mon 6/21/2010

Whatever the hell Nanny State is. That’s your weird beer style. Still ISO.....

Rustyham
beers 1836 º places 106 º 06:36 Tue 6/22/2010

That’s the name of a nun at a convent nearby. She bakes a mean mincemeat pie.

Originally posted by Suttree
Rosemary wheat.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:52 Tue 6/22/2010

At some point, I fully intend to make a Quadrupel with vanilla and honey, made with perry pear juice instead of water and also a doppelbock with bacon and maple syrup.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:06 Tue 6/22/2010

Originally posted by TheHorizon
Here’s a crazy idea-

Roasted malt Hefe (just roast the wheat)

Pale Stout (roast the shit out of pale malt)

Smoked Fruit beer (Dates)

What do you guys think would be weird, but possibly delicious?

I like this line of thinking, and feel you can be as creative as you wish (just keep the brewing clean, and use some logic when crafting the recipe). Really poor outcomes sometimes improve with age.

I am thinking of making a geuze (fruitless lambic sour) with bourbon-soaked oak chips that were toasted bone dry, but am thinking to add a clove, a pinch of cinnamon, and some corriander to help connect/blend the sour flavors of the lambic and the sharp/vanilla flavors of the bourbon oak chips.

How bout a hoppy, roasty/chocolately/imperial-stout-like (possibly carbonated) mead (honey wine)?

Unless you are blending new and old lambic, it’s not a geueze, FWIW. As far as a hoppy and roasty mead, you mean this?

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 07:35 Tue 6/22/2010

Or a Chocolate Sour

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bullfrog-magic-beans/101588/

it works

TheHorizon
beers 1 º 11:06 Tue 6/22/2010

NobleSquirell,

I am impressed by your insight, and have never stumbled across that Surly beer (3rd Anniversary).

I was thinking of using an imperial stout specialty grain and hop bill (think Black Flag by Beer Valley with more roasted barley and a pure honey base).

I am not sure if it is technically a gueze, but the starter is always an aged bottle of lambic (or botled sediment) from a prior batch.

One more weird beer idea is an old ale with the more common alternative sugar sources (like molasas,maple, and honey) along with a blend of various fruit juices that are yet to be determined (think stone’s collaboration "el camino un-real" with other fruits in addition to the figs they use). This one is still in its vague vision stage (as the others are in the formulated but being revised stage), so I welcome insight from anyone with experience/insight into similar conconctions.

I also have a meade on the radar that will use a small field worth of flower petals (from most to least: orange blossom, honey suckle, chamomile, lavender, and ecinaciaea) with a pungent, home-made rosebud tincture and maybe some hops. Who thinks that flowers and honey may go well together?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:34 Tue 6/22/2010

NobleSquirell,

I am impressed by your insight, and have never stumbled across that Surly beer (3rd Anniversary).

I was thinking of using an imperial stout specialty grain and hop bill (think Black Flag by Beer Valley with more roasted barley and a pure honey base).

I am not sure if it is technically a gueze, but the starter is always an aged bottle of lambic (or botled sediment) from a prior batch.

One more weird beer idea is an old ale with the more common alternative sugar sources (like molasas,maple, and honey) along with a blend of various fruit juices that are yet to be determined (think stone’s collaboration "el camino un-real" with other fruits in addition to the figs they use). This one is still in its vague vision stage (as the others are in the formulated but being revised stage), so I welcome insight from anyone with experience/insight into similar conconctions.

I also have a meade on the radar that will use a small field worth of flower petals (from most to least: orange blossom, honey suckle, chamomile, lavender, and ecinaciaea) with a pungent, home-made rosebud tincture and maybe some hops. Who thinks that flowers and honey may go well together?

I think if you were to do a braggot with pilsener malt, it would tie it all together.

Cornfield
beers 5569 º places 143 º 11:48 Tue 6/22/2010

Who thinks that flowers and honey may go well together?

I know that they do. Wlld Blossom, a Chicago meadery, makes a very tasty hibiscus mead.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wild-blossom-hibiscus-flower-mead/119490/