Wetherspoon Spring 2014 Beer Festival

Reads 10781 • Replies 139 • Started Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:21:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 04:01 Sun 3/30/2014

Hey hope everyone is ok. I mean I haven’t been hit by a car since New Year’s Eve. Mind you I was on a bicycle and not in a car.
Well great day yesterday around Maidstone, Canterbury, Dover, Folkestone and Ashford. 21 new beers which has got to be my record for a day in Kent pubs. All for the princely sum of £9.20 for the train ticket. All helped by some Kent brewery single hop beers, the best being the Westerham Sorachi Ace which was excellent
Best beers were the Thwaites/Driftwood Pale Ale, the Tea thing that is quite arresting and Cigar City Siren Song.

DanielBrown
beers 4668 º places 360 º 07:04 Sun 3/30/2014

First three successfully chalked off. Plum Porter is like a choc-covered fruit pastille. Yeastie Boys is delicious. Wadworth Kloster thing less so.

The Briar Rose on a Sunday is dark and menacing.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 07:58 Sun 3/30/2014

Originally posted by DanielBrown
First three successfully chalked off. Plum Porter is like a choc-covered fruit pastille. Yeastie Boys is delicious. Wadworth Kloster thing less so.

I have only ever seen several people walk out of there without either puking, pissing or shitting on themselves or covered in blood. Usually a combination of at least two. How did you do Dan?

Edit. . Actually that is the square peg, it’s about 30% getting out safely in the Briar Rose.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40501 º places 1239 º 09:10 Sun 3/30/2014

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by DanielBrown

I have only ever seen several people walk out of there without either puking, pissing or shitting on themselves or covered in blood. Usually a combination of at least two. How did you do Dan?

Edit. . Actually that is the square peg, it’s about 30% getting out safely in the Briar Rose.

Square Peg - the one and only time I’ve seen someone get glassed in a pub, or anywhere else for that matter !

hopbomber
beers 88 º places 40 º 11:22 Sun 3/30/2014

Manchester spoons at the moment are making no effort whatsoever ; bunting and balloons aside you’d not know it was supposed to be a beer festival 1 cask of the possible 50 in 4 of the spoons I visited.

tommann
beers 7123 º places 33 º 13:31 Sun 3/30/2014

Looks like I’ll need to get my arse into a spoons over the next couple of days as Banks’s has been taken from me.

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 18:38 Sun 3/30/2014

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Didn’t get to Derry due to writing our car off...

Well the 2 Spoons in Derry (first visit for me) had only 5 festival beers on (2.8, 1.6, 3.2, 3.1, 3.5). Disappointing apart from the Adnams/Yeastie Boys collab. The Caley was absolutely appalling, but may be issue with the Spoons I visited. So you didn’t miss much at all! Again, hope you’re not too shaken up

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 18:42 Sun 3/30/2014

A big flying 0 on offer at the spoons in Chelmsford so I went to the alehouse beer festival and got through several ticks I’ve not had before.

DruncanVeasey
beers 10348 º places 51 º 03:04 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by tdtm82
A big flying 0 on offer at the spoons in Chelmsford so I went to the alehouse beer festival and got through several ticks I’ve not had before.

Anyone been to a Spoons yet during the festival with over 10 working handpulls but a grand total of ZERO festival beers on, despite the protestations of the barkeep? Haven’t been able to do one of these festivals in earnest for a couple of years, is this standard practise??

Scandalous. Was tempted to tear down the bunting and flounce out in disgust. But stayed for a half-finished half of Springhead Maid Marian.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40501 º places 1239 º 03:20 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by DruncanVeasey
Originally posted by tdtm82

Anyone been to a Spoons yet during the festival with over 10 working handpulls but a grand total of ZERO festival beers on, despite the protestations of the barkeep? Haven’t been able to do one of these festivals in earnest for a couple of years, is this standard practise??

Scandalous. Was tempted to tear down the bunting and flounce out in disgust. But stayed for a half-finished half of Springhead Maid Marian.

Nah - the London spoons I hit on are pretty damn good for stocking fest beers.

However they never tend to offer the tasting tray or make it easy for you to transport 3 x 1/3rds back to your seat which pisses me off a little, bearing in mind they are supposed to do this!