RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

What are the most useful and flexible beers to cook with?

read 1760 times • 24 replies • posted 1/10/2013 12:43:32 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

DerWeg 1514:38
Since the other thread doesnít get right down to what beers ARE EASY to cook with in a number of ways - whatís your take?

- Trois Pistoles seems to work great with all kinds of red meats and braising.

- Martzenbier (Oktoberfest) is great in Sauer Kraut, and is probably sweet and non-hoppy enough to experiment with.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
BVery 6833:468
I know what not to do - IPA and refried beans. Hoppy beans BLOW.
1/10/2013 12:46:18 PM

Private message send the author a private message

keanex 1493:57
Belgian beers have a long history with cooking.
1/10/2013 12:46:58 PM

pinkie 470:10
Yes the Belgian beers are very friendly to cook with. Any beer can be used although I would stay away from bitter hopped up beers in cooking. I would not treat it exactly like wine either. You would never finish a soup with beer like you would with sherry, and it will never impart the same strong flavor as a good red wine BUT itís ample in flavor for braising, sauteeing and pan glazes. Iíve found that pilsners like seafood and anywhere you would put a dry white you can put a good light tripel.
1/10/2013 1:04:31 PM

premium
Leighton 11638:637
Hoppy beers can be quite difficult (i.e. IPAs and other well-hopped beers). If you burn off the water in the beer, the bitterness tends to concentrate, and in my experience it is tough to integrate big bitter flavors into most cooking. Iím not saying IPAs canít be used in cooking or that bitterness should be avoided all together, just that one should tread lightly.

In general, I suppose sugary and/ or dark (but not too hoppy) beers are the most user-friendly. In this way, I can see how Trois Pistoles and a lot of malty German beers could be good to start out with.
1/10/2013 1:16:42 PM

premium
cheap 4172:163
plain lager
1/10/2013 1:23:54 PM

Heysupqt 1:
Porters are awesome in chili.
1/10/2013 1:25:59 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Leighton
In general, I suppose sugary and/ or dark (but not too hoppy) beers are the most user-friendly.

Malt-forward beers are certainly the way to go.
1/10/2013 1:36:33 PM

JoeMcPhee 8534:508
Vienna, dunkel, porter/stout, Belgian dark ales all work pretty well.
1/10/2013 1:37:24 PM

premium
tricyclist 804:
With all this beer and cooking talk, Iíd have to ask... The bar I work at is having a chili cookoff for the Super Bowl and Iím thinking of throwing in a bowl. Anyone have any good chili recipes that require beer that I can throw in? Winning is cool, but Iíd like to open people up to the concept of cooking with beer. I appreciate all insight.
1/10/2013 1:41:21 PM

premium
JMerritt 1823:72
I donít cook a heck of a lot with beer, but a few standards:

As much as it is panned on this site, I homebrew a 5-gallon batch of pizza beer (my recipe is modified from one I received from the brewer at the now-defunct Americaís Brewpub: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/americas-tom-seefurths-mamma-mia-pizza-beer/72978/) and use it in chili and bread throughout the year.

For brats, any standard lager will do. If you get a gift of some macro lager, save the bottles for brat season. Boil the brats in a mix of beer, onions, bavarian mustard.

I usually make a batch of Alton Brownís traditional wassail every winter ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/wassail-recipe/index.html) and Iíve found that Sam Adams Brown Ale works well

1/10/2013 1:43:26 PM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback