RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

What are the most useful and flexible beers to cook with?

read 1701 times • 24 replies • posted 1/10/2013 12:43:32 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
pepsican 1419:45
Iíve had good luck with Rogue Smoke Ale for chili. Iíve tried other smoke beers with some not so good results.
1/10/2013 1:43:38 PM

Private message send the author a private message

pinkie 425:10
I make a good chili with vodka but Iíll bet that you could use Rare Vos to braise your meat. It wonít be as kicky as the vodka. The secret ingredients to great chili are ground cloves and cinnamon and both of those will invite the hint of clove in the Rare Vos. =)

1/10/2013 1:58:16 PM

502Che 999:47
Miller lite pop tab
1/10/2013 2:10:14 PM

konstifik 573:36
Rodenbach Grand Cru works great for meat stews and similar, and probably a lot of other cooking.

Stouts are great for chilis. Porter pot roast (I think that would be the most accurate translation) is a classic Swedish dish.

Beer is great for soups too!
1/10/2013 2:30:48 PM

premium
bierkitty 152:13
Doppelbock (Troegenator) with any kind of pork. Deglazed and braised.
1/10/2013 2:56:43 PM

premium
Martinus 2630:134
Westmalle tripel works well with witlof (endive), especially soup.
Rodenbach and shrimps are a classical combination, canít really go wrong there.
Belgian dark strong ales are great for braising meat. Rodenbach or geuze goes well too.
Sweet(ened) fruit lambics are good for floats, with some vanilla ice cream.
Geuze is great for mussels, risotto and sorbet. And a million more things. Guess geuze is my favourite beer for cooking. A light blond beer works well with mussels too.
Orval goes well with cheese, especially aged.
Basically all beer leftovers I have, I try to use for baking bread (just substitute the water with beer). Only too hoppy I havenít dared to try yet.
Marinating meat for bbq works well too, havenít figured out my favourite yet, but so far all combinations worked. Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale works well for glazing ribs on the bbq (hey, one has to find some use of the beer thatís not drunk).

For sure curious about your best finds.
1/10/2013 3:37:48 PM

premium
Aurelius 3906:118
The trick, I think is to use sweeter, malty beers so you get good caramelization. I realize all beer has malt, but the sweetness is the reason that Trois Pistoles, Guinness Extra, etc. work. Iíve actually taken to buying maltas (unfermented beer) in the latin section of the grocery, and using that as a marinade/glaze for almost all my grilling.
3/16/2013 7:20:22 PM

premium
jtclockwork 7107:108
I use a lot of smoked beers in BBQ sauces.
3/16/2013 7:50:43 PM

premium
blipp 5679:104
Originally posted by Aurelius
The trick, I think is to use sweeter, malty beers so you get good caramelization. I realize all beer has malt, but the sweetness is the reason that Trois Pistoles, Guinness Extra, etc. work. Iíve actually taken to buying maltas (unfermented beer) in the latin section of the grocery, and using that as a marinade/glaze for almost all my grilling.

Many years ago I though Malta Goya was a beer and bought a bottle. That was a mistake. Good to cook with, awful to drink.
3/16/2013 8:46:52 PM

DerWeg 1431:37
Originally posted by blipp
Originally posted by Aurelius

Many years ago I though Malta Goya was a beer and bought a bottle. That was a mistake. Good to cook with, awful to drink.

Des this mean German Malzbier should work about as well? Itís sweet malty healthy stuff with absolutely no drinkability.
3/16/2013 9:06:55 PM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback