RateBeer

What are your favorite recipes that use beer?

read 963 times • 15 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
EtTuCthulhu
beers 1384 º places 11 º 18:05 Sun 6/23/2013

Just as the title asks, I want to hear how you guys creatively cook with beer. Iím always up for utilizing a brew to enhance a recipe to the next level, and Iím curious as to whatís been done before as I start trying more things.

So far, my favorite recipe is quite simple. You simply take a glass baking pan, place a few strips of bacon in the bottom, cover with a solid layer of sauerkraut, push sausages or brats into the bed of kraut, pour about half of a bottle of a nut brown (I used Dundee because it was cheap) over top of the mixture, and bake until the sausage is completely cooked. Because the sauerkraut soaks up most of the beer and meat juices, this makes for a really great, simple and messy dinner.

Now, letís hear yours. :)

 
thome50
premium
beers 1233 º places 29 º 18:32 Sun 6/23/2013

Originally posted by EtTuCthulhu
Just as the title asks, I want to hear how you guys creatively cook with beer. Iím always up for utilizing a brew to enhance a recipe to the next level, and Iím curious as to whatís been done before as I start trying more things.

So far, my favorite recipe is quite simple. You simply take a glass baking pan, place a few strips of bacon in the bottom, cover with a solid layer of sauerkraut, push sausages or brats into the bed of kraut, pour about half of a bottle of a nut brown (I used Dundee because it was cheap) over top of the mixture, and bake until the sausage is completely cooked. Because the sauerkraut soaks up most of the beer and meat juices, this makes for a really great, simple and messy dinner.

Now, letís hear yours. :)


At what temperature do you bake and for how long, typically?

I just made these pancakes and strawberry compote with New Glarus Berliner Weiss this morning. Turned out very nicely. http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/260

 
EtTuCthulhu
beers 1384 º places 11 º 18:43 Sun 6/23/2013

Originally posted by thome50
At what temperature do you bake and for how long, typically?


Itís baked at 325F for about 25-30 minutes. Sorry I didnít mention that earlier.

 
DocJitsu
beers 1295 º places 119 º 20:17 Sun 6/23/2013

Iíve never made it, but my good friend has done a Guinness corned beef in the crock pot that was amazing. My wife has made a Guinness beef stew that turned out well. Funny thing is, Iíve never cared anything about Guinness.

 
joet
premium
admin
beers 2408 º places 100 º 21:13 Sun 6/23/2013

imperial stout popsicle

 
pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 04:25 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by joet
imperial stout popsicle



At my house we call those "tangential popsicles" because of the effects. =)

 
502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 04:27 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by joet
imperial stout popsicle



Wouldnt they thaw quicker than a normal popsickle due to the alcahol content?

 
pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 04:29 Mon 6/24/2013

I have found that cooking with beer can be challenging. People have a lot of recipes that use beer and even the websites for the different breweries sometimes have recipes that use their beer. I have found that beer when heated becomes bitter and the flavors change. I have had lots of luck cooking with it in quick sautes, to braise and to marinate though. Mostly I donít have any recipes itís just spontaneous.

Like scallops or shrimp seared with pilsner. Or loin of pork marinated in sawtooth ale and then rubbed with cocoa powder and hot chile pepper. My favorite to throw into the meat braise is hennepin. So good with ribs. I even tried a shark steak chili that used an entire bottle of pils.

I would say throw caution to the wind and try whatever comes to mind. You can only succeed. And when you find a good recipe save it and share it! =)

 
Leighton
premium
beers 14334 º places 726 º 04:37 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
I have found that cooking with beer can be challenging. People have a lot of recipes that use beer and even the websites for the different breweries sometimes have recipes that use their beer. I have found that beer when heated becomes bitter and the flavors change. I have had lots of luck cooking with it in quick sautes, to braise and to marinate though. Mostly I donít have any recipes itís just spontaneous.

Like scallops or shrimp seared with pilsner. Or loin of pork marinated in sawtooth ale and then rubbed with cocoa powder and hot chile pepper. My favorite to throw into the meat braise is hennepin. So good with ribs. I even tried a shark steak chili that used an entire bottle of pils.

I would say throw caution to the wind and try whatever comes to mind. You can only succeed. And when you find a good recipe save it and share it! =)


The bitterness becomes concentrated as you reduce a beer. I once reduced a barleywine down to a thick syrup, which was bitter as hell and completely not useful - good learning experience, there. I mostly use beers for braising or add them into a stew. I work mostly with sours or strong stuff (impy stout, barley wine, etc.).

 
SarkyNorthener
premium
beers 3069 º places 111 º 04:41 Mon 6/24/2013

Just got a bottle of Mathers Black Beer today to get my Malt Liquor tick. Will try out a beef and Black beer Pie.

 
wchesser
premium
beers 1514 º places 37 º 08:39 Mon 6/24/2013

Braised london broil in 10-Fidy with bacon and garlic.
Witte (I use White Rascal) carnitas...Pork shoulder with a witte and orange juice and limes.