What are your favorite recipes that use beer?

Reads 1374 • Replies 15 • Started Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:05:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

EtTuCthulhu
beers 1391 º places 11 º 18:05 Sun 6/23/2013

Just as the title asks, I want to hear how you guys creatively cook with beer. I’m always up for utilizing a brew to enhance a recipe to the next level, and I’m curious as to what’s been done before as I start trying more things.

So far, my favorite recipe is quite simple. You simply take a glass baking pan, place a few strips of bacon in the bottom, cover with a solid layer of sauerkraut, push sausages or brats into the bed of kraut, pour about half of a bottle of a nut brown (I used Dundee because it was cheap) over top of the mixture, and bake until the sausage is completely cooked. Because the sauerkraut soaks up most of the beer and meat juices, this makes for a really great, simple and messy dinner.

Now, let’s hear yours. :)

thome50
beers 1295 º places 34 º 18:32 Sun 6/23/2013

Originally posted by EtTuCthulhu
Just as the title asks, I want to hear how you guys creatively cook with beer. I’m always up for utilizing a brew to enhance a recipe to the next level, and I’m curious as to what’s been done before as I start trying more things.

So far, my favorite recipe is quite simple. You simply take a glass baking pan, place a few strips of bacon in the bottom, cover with a solid layer of sauerkraut, push sausages or brats into the bed of kraut, pour about half of a bottle of a nut brown (I used Dundee because it was cheap) over top of the mixture, and bake until the sausage is completely cooked. Because the sauerkraut soaks up most of the beer and meat juices, this makes for a really great, simple and messy dinner.

Now, let’s hear yours. :)

At what temperature do you bake and for how long, typically?

I just made these pancakes and strawberry compote with New Glarus Berliner Weiss this morning. Turned out very nicely. http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/260

EtTuCthulhu
beers 1391 º places 11 º 18:43 Sun 6/23/2013

Originally posted by thome50
At what temperature do you bake and for how long, typically?

It’s baked at 325F for about 25-30 minutes. Sorry I didn’t mention that earlier.

DocJitsu
beers 2557 º places 153 º 20:17 Sun 6/23/2013

I’ve never made it, but my good friend has done a Guinness corned beef in the crock pot that was amazing. My wife has made a Guinness beef stew that turned out well. Funny thing is, I’ve never cared anything about Guinness.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:13 Sun 6/23/2013

imperial stout popsicle

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 04:25 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by joet
imperial stout popsicle

At my house we call those "tangential popsicles" because of the effects. =)

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 04:27 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by joet
imperial stout popsicle

Wouldnt they thaw quicker than a normal popsickle due to the alcahol content?

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 04:29 Mon 6/24/2013

I have found that cooking with beer can be challenging. People have a lot of recipes that use beer and even the websites for the different breweries sometimes have recipes that use their beer. I have found that beer when heated becomes bitter and the flavors change. I have had lots of luck cooking with it in quick sautes, to braise and to marinate though. Mostly I don’t have any recipes it’s just spontaneous.

Like scallops or shrimp seared with pilsner. Or loin of pork marinated in sawtooth ale and then rubbed with cocoa powder and hot chile pepper. My favorite to throw into the meat braise is hennepin. So good with ribs. I even tried a shark steak chili that used an entire bottle of pils.

I would say throw caution to the wind and try whatever comes to mind. You can only succeed. And when you find a good recipe save it and share it! =)

Leighton
beers 33700 º places 1204 º 04:37 Mon 6/24/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
I have found that cooking with beer can be challenging. People have a lot of recipes that use beer and even the websites for the different breweries sometimes have recipes that use their beer. I have found that beer when heated becomes bitter and the flavors change. I have had lots of luck cooking with it in quick sautes, to braise and to marinate though. Mostly I don’t have any recipes it’s just spontaneous.

Like scallops or shrimp seared with pilsner. Or loin of pork marinated in sawtooth ale and then rubbed with cocoa powder and hot chile pepper. My favorite to throw into the meat braise is hennepin. So good with ribs. I even tried a shark steak chili that used an entire bottle of pils.

I would say throw caution to the wind and try whatever comes to mind. You can only succeed. And when you find a good recipe save it and share it! =)

The bitterness becomes concentrated as you reduce a beer. I once reduced a barleywine down to a thick syrup, which was bitter as hell and completely not useful - good learning experience, there. I mostly use beers for braising or add them into a stew. I work mostly with sours or strong stuff (impy stout, barley wine, etc.).

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 04:41 Mon 6/24/2013

Just got a bottle of Mathers Black Beer today to get my Malt Liquor tick. Will try out a beef and Black beer Pie.

wchesser
beers 2435 º places 44 º 08:39 Mon 6/24/2013

Braised london broil in 10-Fidy with bacon and garlic.
Witte (I use White Rascal) carnitas...Pork shoulder with a witte and orange juice and limes.