RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

What is this Schlitz?

read 2115 times • 44 replies • posted 10/22/2013 2:31:56 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

CharmCityCrab 149:
Note the clever play on words in the subject line. ;)

So, a liquor store I patronize had a spot where they put the bottled 6-packs of the special "1960s formula" Schlitz. I meant to get around to trying it, but itís Schlitz, and by the time I decided to brave it, the stock they had was out of code, so I waited for more to come in. More came in and... thereís no indication whether theyíve stuck with the 1960s formula revival or went back to the widely believed to be inferior formula that they used in the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

Iíve never had either prior to the one I am drinking at this very moment, so I canít really tell by taste. This is a bit maltier and grainier than Iíd expect from a sub-premium adjunct lager, so Iíd be inclined to say 1960s formula, but why rely on my taste buds when I have the Internet? Anyone know what the deal is?

I had heard (Possibly inaccurately) that at one point in time the cans were the "bad"* formula and the bottles went back to the "classic" formula and were specially labeled- full stop, all cans were the "bad" stuff and all bottles were the "classic" stuff. Now I have a bottle that doesnít mention a special 60s formula specifically, and I can see people leavings ratings for 60s formula saying that they drank it out of cans. So Iím utterly confused.

The expiration date stamped on my bottle is December 23, 2013, if that helps identify it any.

Is all Schlitz now classic Shlitz? Is all Shlitz now bad Shlitz? Bottles and certain types of cans retro, and regular cans bad? Some bottles and some cans one thing and some bottles and cans the other?

They really should have done something to add clarity to the label. Make "Schlitz" and "Schlitz Classic", "Schlitz Premium", or "Schliz: The Kennedy Years" or something.

This will effect my rating my at least a full point. ;) Not really, but it will effect where I put my rating (RateBeer has separate entries for the different formulas).

*Note I am using "bad" to specify the non-60s formula. I never actually drank it, it might be good. I am just taking the word of everyone in the world Iíve ever talked to on it being bad. ;) If itís what Iím drinking now, itís not bad. Not necessarily good, but underrated. :)
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Cletus 6354:233
I own many Schlitz signs. I drank Schlitz in college (along with Schaefer, No Frills Generic Beer and Genny Cream) because they were dirt cheap and I had no money. Now that I am a grown up, I no longer drink Schlitz because it is a shitty product.
10/22/2013 2:43:59 PM

Private message send the author a private message

JMerritt 1786:72
Iím not sure what the confusion is. If it doesnít say "1960s formula" on it, itís just plain Schlitz. Put your rating under that entry.
10/22/2013 4:19:10 PM

premium
Bill Becker 247:1
In my experience, the cans that showed up in my town were the 60s formula. I havenít seen bottled Schlitz in years so I donít know whatís up with them.
10/22/2013 4:29:17 PM

lithy 2996:156
I love Schlitz, the 60s formula one, or just the straight 6 pack of cans in fish killer rings.
10/22/2013 5:37:50 PM

premium
b3shine 5314:262
Better question: does anyone (besides the OP) care?

Itís like comparing PBR to High Life; who cares? If youíre on a beer rating site to rate Schlitz varietals, maybe find a new hobby? Or start rateschlitz.com
10/22/2013 5:41:50 PM

premium
grassrootsvt
Originally posted by b3shine

Itís like comparing PBR to High Life; who cares? If youíre on a beer rating site to rate Schlitz varietals, maybe find a new hobby? Or start rateschlitz.com

I care. I actually think the 1960ís Formula Schlitz is pretty damn good. Have you ever compared Miller High Life to Pabst Blue Ribbon? Or Coors Banquet to Budweiser? Pretty incredible - but it requires an appreciation for subtle and delicate flavor nuances...
10/22/2013 6:11:14 PM

premium
b3shine 5314:262
Originally posted by grassrootsvt

I care. I actually think the 1960ís Formula Schlitz is pretty damn good. Have you ever compared Miller High Life to Pabst Blue Ribbon? Or Coors Banquet to Budweiser? Pretty incredible - but it requires an appreciation for subtle and delicate flavor nuances...

I havenít, Shaun (at least not side by side in a blind,objective format). Adjuncts are either tolerable or disappointing, but not anything Iím going to waste much time pondering either way.
10/22/2013 6:21:56 PM

Drjohnrock 431:17

I know what you mean, b3shine, but while I rarely rate the usually indistinguishable varieties of BMC pisswater, Iím interested in the history of brewing, so I would find such a discussion interesting from that perspective. Itís pretty well known that a lot of breweries cheapened their recipes to compete with bigger breweries and/or cut costs. As early as 1940--19 freakiní 40--Cincinnatiís old Clyffside Brewery followed the advice of a marketing consulting firm and cheapened their recipes to make them much like todayís pale lagers. Regrettably in a way, this allowed Clyffside to at least temporarily increase sales.

As to Schlitz specifically, my father, God rest his soul, never cared for any era of it, and he lived through a lot of them. So Iíll pass on trying 60s Schiltz. Now if someone would revive Clyffsideís pre-1940 recipes...
10/22/2013 6:22:34 PM

PaleDales 2:
id leave it be friends. ye olde schlitz was a beer cheapended by its owners. they rushed the lager brewing process and created chill haze in the notoiously clear beer category. the public never went back after owners lagered their beer for sub 20 days resulting in hazy, lack luster beer. I dont care who brews it not, the ship has sailed.
10/22/2013 6:28:09 PM

CharmCityCrab 149:

The site is ratebeer. Is Schlitz not a beer? It says beer on the label. It has hops, barley, yeast, and water in it. Itís got several different entries to rate different variations of it.

I hear ratepretentiousbeer.com may still be available if you want to start a site that excludes beer you think is beneath you. Personally, Iím thinking about grabbing ratebeernotshandies.com ;)

Anyhow, look at the title of the thread, itís a play on words. Instead of "What is this shit?", I said "What is this Schlitz?". Iím obviously not nominating it for beer of the year. Itís something I bought because it was cheap, I needed to save some money, and I hadnít tried it yet. We canít all afford to be this guy:

http://blogs.citypaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MR-PILSENER-HEADjpg.jpg

:)
10/22/2013 7:21:46 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ