What lower carb Stouts/Porters/Black Ales are out there?

Reads 25167 • Replies 22 • Started Monday, July 14, 2014 5:43:00 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 10:45 Tue 7/15/2014

Originally posted by RABinCO
Originally posted by brokensail
Black Tuesday is pretty low carb...

At the very least, it’s imminently chuggable.

I pair it with rice cakes. Makes for a nice light lunch.

McWorta
beers 1632 º places 156 º 11:23 Tue 7/15/2014

Beer is low in carbs already on average. Stronger beer has higher carbs ok but if on a diet, a beer ain’t bad in my opinion just a metter of what you eat along or afterwards...?!

Stoutlover871
16:17 Tue 7/15/2014

Okay, thanks for your help all. Most of it was useful except the last few posts lol. I have a couple great beer stores near me, so I’ll see what they have.

Stoutlover871
03:46 Wed 7/16/2014

To those of you who are questioning why I’m wanting low carb beers; (Your body stores any fats and carbs that you eat the day that you drink in your fat cells, because your body needs to oxidize the alcohol first before it can utilize the fat and carb calories). However, eating lean protein like chicken, or whey protein is perfectly fine while drinking.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 07:07 Wed 7/16/2014

If you want to avoid carbs do it by partaking in other beverages and save beer for limited occasions. There’s a reason why beer is called liquid bread and there’s a reason why many beer guys are packing some weight.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 07:12 Wed 7/16/2014

Originally posted by keanex
There’s a reason why beer is called liquid bread.

Mostly due to misconceptions. People like to say Guinness is like a meal in a glass. But it’s one of the "healthier" beers you could be drinking.
If you’re on a diet but liek to drink there are much better things you could cut out, that would make a much bigger difference, than beer.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 07:44 Wed 7/16/2014

I checked out nutritional information that I could find for Paulaner Salvator and you’re right. It seems that it’s only 15 grams of carbs per 11.2 ounces. This would be about 5% of daily intake for an 2,000 calorie diet.

So yeah 2 beers or so a night isn’t a big deal I suppose. Makes me wonder why the beer culture has a large amount of bigger men though.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 08:00 Wed 7/16/2014

I checked out nutritional information that I could find for Paulaner Salvator and you’re right. It seems that it’s only 15 grams of carbs per 11.2 ounces. This would be about 5% of daily intake for an 2,000 calorie diet.

So yeah 2 beers or so a night isn’t a big deal I suppose. Makes me wonder why the beer culture has a large amount of bigger men though.

lifestyle associated with beer consumption:

*more sitting around (at pubs/ tasting sessions?)
*food cravings, unhealthy snacks whilst drinking (crackling, crisps)
*post drinking food
*not actually being out exercising whilst out drinking
*possibly greater prevalence of smoking

the "beer" belly is not from the beer per se but other things associated with being a drinker. But of course alcohol has calories, the more you drink, the more weight you’ll put on.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 16:19 Wed 7/16/2014

Originally posted by Beersiveknown

lifestyle associated with beer consumption:

*more sitting around (at pubs/ tasting sessions?)
*food cravings, unhealthy snacks whilst drinking (crackling, crisps)
*post drinking food
*not actually being out exercising whilst out drinking
*possibly greater prevalence of smoking

the "beer" belly is not from the beer per se but other things associated with being a drinker. But of course alcohol has calories, the more you drink, the more weight you’ll put on.

And drinking a bomber of a 12% imperial stout.

charlespe
12:33 Fri 7/18/2014

Michelob, Michelob Ultra - 2.6g to 3.2 carbs
Budweiser Select 55 - 3.1g carbs