What ya’ drinking? Part Nine!

Reads 100865 • Replies 1271 • Started Friday, November 1, 2013 7:31:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 13:50 Wed 11/20/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
Southern Tier’s Imperial Helles Lager Krampus. Meh. I think the style is yet to be perfected.

Boulevard Reverb. Or - better yet, for us in SW MO - White River Pulltite Pils. Would take both over Krampus any day.

Currently drinking Leinenkugel’s Vanilla Porter. Not too bad for a macro.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 14:48 Wed 11/20/2013

Originally posted by kdm1984
Southern Tier’s Imperial Helles Lager Krampus. Meh. I think the style is yet to be perfected.

Boulevard Reverb. Or - better yet, for us in SW MO - White River Pulltite Pils. Would take both over Krampus any day.

I am curious, what do you think of the style itself? I mean imperial lager, imperial pilsner, india pale lager? I am finding that I don’t like the pilsner flavors with the higher abv or with the more intense hops profile. How are you going to have a crisp and bready lager at 9.3 with a huge hop profile?

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 10:16 Thu 11/21/2013

Sierra Nevada Celebration. So delicious.

IrishBoy
beers 4707 º places 141 º 12:07 Thu 11/21/2013

Today coffee from my new "Ithaca is Gorges" mug that Pinkie sent me.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 12:15 Thu 11/21/2013

Originally posted by IrishBoy
Today coffee from my new "Ithaca is Gorges" mug that Pinkie sent me.

It’s also good for soup and ice cream.

MarkoNm
beers 6134 º places 383 º 12:45 Thu 11/21/2013

Lindemans Faro.... not really my cup of tea

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 15:33 Thu 11/21/2013

New Belgium Fresh Hop IPA. More bitter than flavourful hop end result in my book.

mikesaum
beers 712 º places 18 º 15:52 Thu 11/21/2013

Four roses single barrel. Wasn’t feeling beer tonight

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 16:08 Thu 11/21/2013

Originally posted by kdm1984

I am curious, what do you think of the style itself? I mean imperial lager, imperial pilsner, india pale lager? I am finding that I don’t like the pilsner flavors with the higher abv or with the more intense hops profile. How are you going to have a crisp and bready lager at 9.3 with a huge hop profile?

I like it when done well. It’s certainly easy to mess up.

Some pils are hoppy, like Czech pilsners. These are a little better to work into imperial profiles. I could see Reverb appealing to those wanting a stronger Pils Urquell.

There are some impy lagers that tend toward too much hops, especially grapefruit, though, I’d agree. If you can’t really tell it apart from an IPA, it’s not a great example of the style.

IPLs can be lighter, on the other hand. Sam Adams IPL is really tasty without amping up the alcohol. Has the cripsness of a lager with the fruity hops of an IPA.

Analysis aside, I’m having another Expedition Stout. :)

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 16:12 Thu 11/21/2013

New Belgium Collaboration with Cigar City. I’ve had some very nice Chili beers, this isn’t one of them. :^(