What’s brewing this weekend?

Reads 5980 • Replies 53 • Started Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:43:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 20:01 Mon 9/8/2014

6 batches equalling 50+ gallons.

’Twas a good weekend.

Bontus
beers 1044 º places 20 º 01:47 Tue 9/30/2014

Had a double homebrew last Sunday.
Standard IPA recipe. Flowers instead of pellets because the latter were out of stock.
Total volume collected fermenting : 26 gallon (100 liters)
Total malt used : 68 pounds (31 kg)
Total hops used : 35 oz (1 kg) dryhopping included

Cooling went pretty bad, being end September it was a warm day 73°F (23°C), tap water was around 64°F (18°C), making it impossible to cool to that same temperature.
So I’m afraid we’ll have an ester dominant IPA.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 04:34 Tue 9/30/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Cool. I also bought some damsons, which are just in season in these parts, and some raspberries to split the batch of sour beer I’ve got going fermented with just the yeast and bugs I got from throwing some blueberries and an apricot in a small starter of wort and stepping it up over a month or two.

It’s only been fermenting for a month and it took less than three weeks to get pretty sour. Big bubbly, slightly oily-looking pellicle atop. Smelling great - really funky, but in a very fruity way. Pretty excited about it actually. Definitely reusing the bugs if its as good as I hope.

I’ll probably try to get some more local fruit to do 3/4 on 3 different fruits and 1/4 straight. Not sure what the other fruit will be. Sloes are coming in, but they’re not a million miles from damsons, so I might try something different. We get some great heritage variety apples from the apple museum thing in Kent, which should be arriving soon, so I could go mental and bake some in sugar with some cinnamon and do a sort of autumnal sour.

The first unfruited bottles of this stuff are slowly carbonating as the brett munches through the last of the complex sugars etc. Tried a couple of bottles and its tasting pretty great. Surprisingly clean, very lactic, like a strong, slightly bretty berliner weisse. Hoping it will be even better once it’s fully carbonated and slightly funkier.

Ended up doing the rest on three fruits: damsons, raspberries and mango, which are now bottled, but I haven’t tried them yet. The colour of the damson one is amazing though. It was a pale base beer with no wheat or oats added, so it’s very clear and a now a deep, rubyish red. Just hope I took it off the fruit soon enough that it’s not overly tannic.

Not sure if I’ll get around to brewing this weekend. Might do a wee El Dorado pale ale with Brett Trois or something. Also going to start culturing up the dregs from a bottle of Fantome Saison I’ve got (assuming it’s a good bottle).

HornyDevil
07:00 Tue 9/30/2014

Might do a sour with grape skins. If I have time to go get some from a local winery, that is.

CLevar
places 23 º 07:26 Tue 9/30/2014

Got a big Brett culture ready to go for a mosaic pale. Should be ready in time for Darkness Day!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:23 Fri 10/10/2014

Brewed up 8gal of Valdosta Weisse (low abv sour wheat ale) on Wednesday afternoon that is kettle souring right now. Will boil it off tomorrow and then brew a 5gal single hopped pale ale with Azacca.

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 11:33 Mon 10/13/2014

next up for me is a funky triple:

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs table sugar

3 oz Spalt Select @ cube

t58 + Jolly Pumpkin dregs

expected OG: 1.075

hopefully it will finish between 1.005 and 1.010

CLevar
places 23 º 12:03 Mon 10/13/2014

I just received a bit over 45 lbs of grapes from an organic farm here. A mix of concord, Frontanac, and a bit of a white wine grape they had as well.

Very excited to get these into some projects MatSciGuy and I have going.

HornyDevil
12:41 Mon 10/13/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Might do a sour with grape skins. If I have time to go get some from a local winery, that is.

Just brewed this beer this past weekend. Zinfandel grapes. Used them in three separate steps. Ran-off through them, added them at knock out, and am fermenting on them. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

GreatDane1632
beers 1177 º places 27 º 18:22 Mon 10/13/2014

I just brewed a Black Roggenbier to be dry-hopped with Simcoe. Could be interesting.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer