What’s missing in the Pittsburgh beer scene?

Reads 2250 • Replies 38 • Started Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:35:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
05:44 Wed 3/5/2014

Originally posted by lithy
Here’s what I would like to see more of in Pittsburgh. Small neighborhood pubs. I like the small brewpub idea, but I think these places should be pushing for 3.5bbl-7bbl brewhouses rather than 1-2bbl. I think places like that would work for many of the city neighborhoods and do well.

I would LOVE to see this as well, but I doubt that it will happen. The two in Lawrenceville have the capacity to do this, but I seriously doubt that they will make it happen. It would just be nice to be able to sit down and have a couple pints in a place with nice surroundings instead of just filling your growler and leaving. Again, I think Gristhouse and The Brew Gentlemen will fill this gap. If they ever get open, that is.

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 06:56 Wed 3/5/2014

Roundabout has applied for the license to serve pints. Its a matter of time now. Hop Farm guys claim to be doing the same in a few months once they get their canning up and running with some consistancy.

I love Voodoo but they are just a tad too far for frequent visits. They are apparently looking at retail space in Homestead though...whatever that is all about.

HornyDevil
07:25 Wed 3/5/2014

Originally posted by artmcd8
Roundabout has applied for the license to serve pints. Its a matter of time now. Hop Farm guys claim to be doing the same in a few months once they get their canning up and running with some consistancy.

Even if they both obtain said license, their current digs don’t have a whole bunch of atmosphere.

Originally posted by artmcd8
I love Voodoo but they are just a tad too far for frequent visits. They are apparently looking at retail space in Homestead though...whatever that is all about.

Interested to see how that progresses.

User52877
places 3 º 04:26 Thu 3/6/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Even if they both obtain said license, their current digs don’t have a whole bunch of atmosphere.

This.

User52877
places 3 º 04:53 Thu 3/6/2014

I have for the longest time had this idea. Ill post it up here so that if there are any millionaires in the group with nothing better to do with their money than piss it away.......

I would like to take a large mill\warehouse\factory that has closed up and convert it into a beer haven. Around the outside perimeter would be replicas of better known breweries from around the world, serving the best brews from each. In the middle would be some green space with a retractable roof for those nice days. On the second floor would be a split 25/75 hostel type sleeping quarters and large flat like condos\appartments. The roof and part of the surrounding area would be for growing either "stuff" for the brewing process or veggies and herbs\spices for cooking and or brewing. A beekeeper would also be a great idea for both the pollination of the plants and also for the honey needed to make mead. There would be parts of it reserved for the brewing of beer by home brewers that would want to use higher end equipment for brewing, bottling and selling their brews. And if PA ever joins the other states thumbing their noses at the feds, there could be an area set aside for other types of herb.
A bakery would be a part of this to utilize the spent grains.
The goal would be to have it as green as possible with solar, wind and if on the river harnessing the flow via either partially submersed or some of the new fangled under water wave powered devices, or a combo of all.

I know there is no way in hell this would work, but it is fun to think about. OK its fun for me to think about. When the lottery was at 400 mill, I had dreams about it. One of them had in it the ability to move the entire structure to other parts of the world in need of a great place to visit and cheer people up. Isn’t dreaming a wonderful thing!

HornyDevil
07:07 Thu 3/6/2014

So, like Stone World Bistro, but in PA?

User52877
places 3 º 09:26 Thu 3/6/2014

I had never heard of that.

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 10:03 Thu 3/6/2014

That’s what I was thinking as I read it. Pretty much a Disneyland for beer. Did they break ground on the hotel yet?