What’s on the go?

Reads 11677 • Replies 102 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 7:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
08:19 Thu 5/28/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Apparently it’s unclear which specific brewery the yeast is from.

Thanks for trying, brah.

CLevar
places 23 º 13:44 Sun 6/14/2015

Yesterday, MatSciGuy and I brewed ~35 gal of Gose, which is currently fermenting with the plantarum plus brevis blend from Omega yeast I just ranted about in the other thread. It will get a big slug of Hefe yeast tomorrow AM. Looking forward to having a lot of this to drink this summer, even if it may not get as tart as I wanted it to.

We also bottled ~2 cases of a barrel aged rye saison aged on apricot puree, ~2 cases of a barrel aged rye saison aged on a mixture of frontanac and concord grapes, and ~2 cases of lambic aged on blueberries. Very excited to be drinking these as soon as the are carbed up!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 13:55 Sun 6/14/2015

Currently have a blonde ale in secondary with fresh pears and frozen strawberries - Mrs. Owl’s idea. She wanted something light and fruity for summer slugging.

Closing on a house on Tuesday and won’t be brewing until that’s all settled. We have some friends visiting the first week of August and they’ve requested a double IPA (Great Lakes Chillwave clone specifically) and a cherry cider... So I’ll be getting to those in the next couple of weeks.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 05:20 Mon 6/15/2015

I’ve got a saison fermenting with the Hill Farmstead saison culture right now. 44% oats and lots of Jester hops. Going to dry hop it with more Jester, and I might add some local, raw honey too.

Also got another saison fermenting with my own saison blend, which is going to get a ton of apricots, some honey and and some white wine.

I’ve also got a strong, dark sour, which is a couple of months old and has fermented down from 1.080 to 1.002. It’s not really sour at all yet (pH well above 4), so I might add a little malt extract to make sure the brettanomyces and peddiococcus have enough to chew on (given it’s already down to 1.002). Great fruity aromas. Assuming the results are good, I think the microbes are going to become my own dark sour blend (for stouts, flemish sours etc.) Planning to add some oak to this shortly before bottling and to put a portion on cherries.

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 10:06 Sat 6/20/2015

Last weekend I brewed up an all Columbus pale ale. Nothing special. My next brew is going to be all Belgian pils, probably Saaz hops and White Labs 550. Shooting for 7% with high attenuation.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 17:57 Sun 6/21/2015

Originally posted by drowland
Currently have a blonde ale in secondary with fresh pears and frozen strawberries - Mrs. Owl’s idea. She wanted something light and fruity for summer slugging.

This was a big hit with all the people that helped me move this weekend and my wife is loving it.

Anyone ever brewed with pear before? I used a pound of whole frozen strawberries (as is) and a pound of fresh Bartlett pears, peeled and chopped. If I were to sell/market the beer, I would definitely just call it strawberry blonde. The pear is non-existent essentially, either too faint/subtle or covered by the strawberry or both. I used a late addition hop that supposedly adds apple/pear character (don’t recall and don’t have my info in front of me) but that didn’t seem to help either.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 18:11 Sun 6/21/2015

Fruits like pears and apples come through better when they’re cooked, somehow. I made a great Christmas beer with tons of apples baked in some dark sugar and spices. I bet pears would be similar. You need to add a lot of the fruit, 400g/litre (or thereabouts), of fruit, bake with a little sugar and very subtle spices, then lots of pectolase to avoid pectin hase.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:45 Sun 6/21/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Fruits like pears and apples come through better when they’re cooked, somehow. I made a great Christmas beer with tons of apples baked in some dark sugar and spices. I bet pears would be similar. You need to add a lot of the fruit, 400g/litre (or thereabouts), of fruit, bake with a little sugar and very subtle spices, then lots of pectolase to avoid pectin hase.

Interesting. Strawberry blonde ale, so I wasn’t interested in adding spices to the pear but I could try cooking them a little if I do anything like that again.

Pectin haze cause anything besides a visual? If not, then I don’t care. Shelf life maybe? For me it’s just a 5gal batch and gone fast.

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 19:56 Mon 6/22/2015

Originally posted by temporrari
Last weekend I brewed up an all Columbus pale ale. Nothing special. My next brew is going to be all Belgian pils, probably Saaz hops and White Labs 550. Shooting for 7% with high attenuation.

No 550 or Saaz at the shop! Bummer. At least I did get the Belgian grain. I got some 3711 and I’m going to switch the hops to Citra. Done this before and it was lovely. Can’t wait to brew it.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 20:42 Mon 6/22/2015

10 gallons of czech pils is going full blast in my lager fridge, I have some witbier and session IPA fermenting as well as 10 gallons of 7% saison-ipa (WLP565 + Citra)

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer