RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

When To Add Maple Syrup & Pumpkin To Beer...

read 2523 times • 15 replies • posted 8/19/2012 4:04:54 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
pellegjr 395:16
Originally posted by treyrab
Ok, so I am thinking something like this:

Roast 2 lbs sweet potato and 1 lbs canned pumpkin puree. Add to mash.

Add 1 lbs Grade B maple at flameout along with a small amount of pumpkin spices, and 1 lbs maple in secondary before kegging.

Sound like a good plan?

I would only add the syrup to the boil if you want some fermented flavor from the syrup. Personally, I think the impact is so slight and the ingredient so expensive that youíre better off pushing the maple addition to the end of the process. If you do add to the boil, add at the beginning.

The quantity is dependent on your personal preference: I would try the scale up technique I mentioned in the previous post to get your desired quantity.
8/20/2012 10:24:15 AM

Private message send the author a private message

jbrana 378:33
Definitaly do pumpkin in the mash. Donít use sweet potato, use butternut squash.

If bottling, add maple syrup as a primer. If kegging, add after boil as your wort is cooling.
8/20/2012 10:33:02 AM

premium
pellegjr 395:16
Originally posted by jbrana
Definitaly do pumpkin in the mash. Donít use sweet potato, use butternut squash.

If bottling, add maple syrup as a primer. If kegging, add after boil as your wort is cooling.

These bottling vs kegging options donít seem to make sense: one will give you fermented maple character, the other gives you raw maple flavor. If during the boil, why post boil as opposed to beginning of boil?
8/20/2012 11:51:41 AM

boogychillin 7:1
Iíd have a bottle of Dogfish Punkin nearby so you have something handy to drink.
8/20/2012 12:16:37 PM

treyrab 3:
Thanks for the tips all. Seem to be a lot of conflicting theories when to add maple, and whether to add pumpkin, sweet potatoe, or sqush. But Iíd like the maple to be more assertive, so I think Iíll put 2 gallons in secondary, a few days before I keg.
8/20/2012 1:16:06 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add