Where to shop for the rarities?

Reads 2547 • Replies 27 • Started Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:23:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

italianjohn
beers 5800 º places 242 º 18:40 Tue 12/17/2013

It is hit or miss to be honest .... Sometimes I will go to a random store that advertises they have craft beer and low and behold they have some rare stuff (sometimes even marked down) that you can catch a deal on. A lot of bottle shops are starting to do facebook reserves which is definitely a debate on the first come first serve/reserve for regulars or followers ..... I have been to some well known bottle shops and all the rare shit is gone you have to wink wink or ask for rarities ..... In my opinion if your a beer fan you have to find your inner Indiana Jones and take those little roadtrips to Jersey and local shops and keep yourself up to date on new releases to grow your bottle reserve. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss on a brew sometimes you go to a small shop somewhere and find it. I buy off of legit ex ebay sellers who privately sell brew if I really want something out of the zip code (New Glarus/Three Floyds, Pipeworks, 18th Street etc) ... I can provide the seller if asked .... I also sometimes buy off of online websites ... the shipping pays for itself trust me. Good luck to all!!!

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 22:43 Thu 12/19/2013

First of all, it helps if you make 110K + OT. Barring that, make friends, spend money, share beers with people who share your love of good beer, network, and get a beer web. If it sounds difficult, that’s because it is. I spend 2-3K a year at Capone’s, I’ve been a loyal customer for 12 years now, and they are like family to me. If you go in to Capone’s, or any other place like an eBay scumbag or "Please notice me and give me attention" scumbag like Hayden, they will sniff you out in a minute. Hayden is to PA raters as the Chupacabra is to Latino citizens. When he chugged the Pliny the Elder and shotgunned the Canadian Breakfast Stout into the Lou Pepe Kriek, he became an outcast to any PA rater with any self-respect or knowledge whatsoever. When I see Hayden again, I WILL call him out. 2014 is a new year, and that shit does not fly with Doc Lock any more. The gloves are off.

jdb288
beers 584 º places 98 º 04:33 Fri 12/20/2013

Not sure who Hayden is, but thanks. I have visited Capone’s since this thread was started and really like their selection. Great staff, very well thought out selection. I’ve got my own folks that I call on for harder to find bottles but was curious what everyone else did around here. I appreciate the feedback!

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 10:35 Fri 12/20/2013

Originally posted by DocLock
First of all, it helps if you make 110K + OT. Barring that, make friends, spend money, share beers with people who share your love of good beer, network, and get a beer web. If it sounds difficult, that’s because it is. I spend 2-3K a year at Capone’s, I’ve been a loyal customer for 12 years now, and they are like family to me. If you go in to Capone’s, or any other place like an eBay scumbag or "Please notice me and give me attention" scumbag like Hayden, they will sniff you out in a minute. Hayden is to PA raters as the Chupacabra is to Latino citizens. When he chugged the Pliny the Elder and shotgunned the Canadian Breakfast Stout into the Lou Pepe Kriek, he became an outcast to any PA rater with any self-respect or knowledge whatsoever. When I see Hayden again, I WILL call him out. 2014 is a new year, and that shit does not fly with Doc Lock any more. The gloves are off.

that is awesome. i wanna party with this guy. im assuming we mustve crossed paths at some point in the last 6 years...

jredmond
beers 10321 º places 301 º 10:40 Fri 12/20/2013

i meant you DocLock, not Hayden whoever that clown is...

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 17:24 Thu 1/9/2014

JR, we will have to share a beer soon. How close to Craft Ale or Capone’s are you? We’ll be sharing beers at Craft Ale on Tuesday. Jan 14th, 3:30 - 6:30 PM ish. Or shoot me a BM and we can exchange numbers.

boxofrane
beers 2559 º places 53 º 10:30 Sat 1/11/2014

Hey Jeff - not to threadjack.. have you had TH Red Wine Only Void? If not, it’ll be down with me on Tuesday.