RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

which grain mill to get?

read 4514 times • 27 replies • posted 10/29/2012 5:54:12 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
drowland 5996:172
Iím much more into brewing than in years past, and Iíd really like to get my own mill so that I can buy more grain in bulk and not have to rely on homebrew shops to do Jeebus knows what to my grains.

I dug around on here and found some threads, which, oddly enough, carry some gem posts from our buddy erway, who is now a famous brewer!

www.ratebeer.com/forums/grain-mill_81379.htm
http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/grain-mills_45974.htm

However, these threads are old. Everybody loved the Crankandstein back then... how about now?

Itíll have to be in the 200-300 dollar range, or less... which is probably plenty.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
pellegjr 395:16
Thanks for the post Danny, Iím in the market myself. The consensus Iíve received thus far is that the two best options in the home environment are Schmidling and the Barley Crusher. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm?
10/29/2012 6:00:01 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
b3shine 5335:262
You could go with The Barley Crusher or a similar variant and then replace the crank with a piece of metal that a socket head fits around so that you can burn through the milling with a drill gun instead of having to crank it by hand (which is awful).
10/29/2012 6:02:55 PM

cbkschubert 2900:44
I use this one. Works great.
10/29/2012 6:52:06 PM

premium
decaturstevo 4996:132
The rolls are adjustable? How sturdy is the adjustment do you ever have to worry about the rolls spreading accidently making the grain come through the mill and give you an inconsistent mill of the grain? cheerstevo
Originally posted by cbkschubert
10/29/2012 6:59:54 PM

DA 1
Iíve used the Barley Crusher for about 2 years now and havenít had any problems. Rollers are adjustable, good grind, no complaints.
10/29/2012 7:10:17 PM

premium
drowland 5996:172
Other opinions? Lots of homebrew gurus on here arenít speaking up yet!
10/29/2012 7:15:59 PM

premium
JulienHuxley 3016:256
I just switched to all grain brewing, and am now three batches in using my malt mill (schmidling) and so far itís been just great. Itís the same one they use at my not so local LHBS and they have apparently been milling 100 lbs of grain a day for the past 2 years with it no problem (They run a pretty large business). Iím still cranking it out by hand, because Iím kind of a masochist about hobbies like this but theirs is hooked up to a washing machine motor and just gobbles up grain.
10/29/2012 7:16:07 PM

cbkschubert 2900:44
Originally posted by decaturstevo
The rolls are adjustable? How sturdy is the adjustment do you ever have to worry about the rolls spreading accidently making the grain come through the mill and give you an inconsistent mill of the grain? cheerstevo
Originally posted by cbkschubert

There is no slippage at all. The increments are pretty small. I leave it at the second largest adjustment. That setting works great for 2-row and crystal malts. You have to adjust for wheat. Iíve milled over 250 lbs. of grain with no problems.
10/29/2012 7:43:45 PM

bgburdman9 857:24
Originally posted by b3shine
You could go with The Barley Crusher or a similar variant and then replace the crank with a piece of metal that a socket head fits around so that you can burn through the milling with a drill gun instead of having to crank it by hand (which is awful).

I have a barley crusher and it works very well, is adjustable, and I didnít need to replace anything to attach a drill to it. You can probably get the barley crusher for $130.
10/29/2012 7:51:41 PM

premium
FlacoAlto 3800:17
A roller mill will do the trick

I have been itching to buy one of the three roller Monster mills, but I just canít justify it, my almost 15 year old Valley Mill is still ticking along just fine.

I havenít heard of anyone yet complain about the adjustable roller mills that they have gotten. for more than 5 gallon batches a drill or dedicated motor is certainly a must (I do 20 gallon batches generally and canít imagine still hand-cranking).

So make sure it is adjustable, easily adapted for a drill or motor, and get as large a diameter rollers as you can afford. After that it is just opinion.

The only reason I want a three roller mill is that I am anal enough on grind that I double grind all my malt with my current mill. once to crack the husk, and the second, at a finer setting to pulverize the endosperm into powder, while leaving the husk in tact.
10/29/2012 8:13:43 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add