RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Which grain mill to get?

read 5826 times • 27 replies • posted 10/29/2012 5:54:12 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
drowland 6169:172
Originally posted by FlacoAlto
A roller mill will do the trick

I have been itching to buy one of the three roller Monster mills, but I just canít justify it, my almost 15 year old Valley Mill is still ticking along just fine.

I havenít heard of anyone yet complain about the adjustable roller mills that they have gotten. for more than 5 gallon batches a drill or dedicated motor is certainly a must (I do 20 gallon batches generally and canít imagine still hand-cranking).

So make sure it is adjustable, easily adapted for a drill or motor, and get as large a diameter rollers as you can afford. After that it is just opinion.

The only reason I want a three roller mill is that I am anal enough on grind that I double grind all my malt with my current mill. once to crack the husk, and the second, at a finer setting to pulverize the endosperm into powder, while leaving the husk in tact.

Weíll get off your lawn!

Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the tips!

You grind all of your malt into powder? Or did you just mean wheat?
10/29/2012 8:44:18 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
FlacoAlto 3810:17
Originally posted by drowland
You grind all of your malt into powder? Or did you just mean wheat?

The ideal grinding of malt consists of grain husks cracked in half, and the starchy endosperm completely ground to flour / powder. You canít quite get there in reality, but multiple rollers (the first at a looser setting, the second at a tight, flour creating setting) are your best bet to get there (check out the roller mills in a professional brewery).

Additionally, adding a spritz of water to the grain the night before will allow you to grind at a tighter setting without pulverizing the grain husks.

For grains without husks (e.g. wheat) that are not malted, you do indeed want to ground to a flour, which is why I use a flour mill when using these types of grains (a roller mill just doesnít cut it for unmalted grains, at least if you want to optimize extraction efficiency).
10/29/2012 9:05:26 PM

premium
JoeinDahlem 1343:284
Iím still using a Corona. Like the exercise. Dislike the inefficiency. Roller mill is on the Xmas list.
10/29/2012 9:35:58 PM

premium
drowland 6169:172
Awesome sauce. Iím stoked to get a mill in the next couple months and control everything.

I have to move my ferm fridge inside though, apparently, because itís getting too cold here. Silly Florida.
10/29/2012 9:36:29 PM

bitbucket 2159:63
Barleycrusher works well for me. Relatively inexpensive.
Monster looks more impressive, but I havenít tried it.
10/29/2012 9:39:57 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3438:209
Throw out there that I love the barleycrusher, no complaints. I recommend getting a feeler gauge to aid in small adjustments (you can get one for like $.1 Bangsí at an auto parts store). Also, you can hook up your drill straight away to the shaft as well.
10/30/2012 10:22:10 AM

premium
Gription79 2311:51
I have used a Malt Mill by JSP for several years without any complaints. The local homebrew store has been using a three roller Monster Mill for the last year and the grind from it is very nice. If I was to purchase a new mill I would go with the Monster Mill.
10/30/2012 10:48:56 AM

oteyj 2130:14
I have one from the Barley Crusher and its awesome
10/30/2012 11:20:52 AM

robrules 1
Originally posted by b3shine
You could go with The Barley Crusher or a similar variant and then replace the crank with a piece of metal that a socket head fits around so that you can burn through the milling with a drill gun instead of having to crank it by hand (which is awful).

Or just take the crank off and connect the drill directly to the post.
10/30/2012 11:24:28 AM

robrules 1
Been using a barleycrusher now for about 5-6 years and have no complaints. I have only had to readjust the gap once in that time.
10/30/2012 11:26:32 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add