RateBeer

Which grain mill to get?

read 8090 times • 27 replies •

Thread Frozen

drowland
premium
beers 7055 º places 216 º 11:45 Tue 10/30/2012

I can get a Barley Crusher setup for about $150 or a 3-roller Monster Mill setup for about $220... is the extra $70 bucks worth it in anyoneís opinion?

drowland
premium
beers 7055 º places 216 º 11:47 Tue 10/30/2012

(note that Iíll be asking for it for Christmas and could get either price point, it just might be nice to get $70 of other stuff)

FlacoAlto
premium
beers 3881 º places 17 º 13:10 Tue 10/30/2012

if you are happy with the crush that you have been getting from the homebrew store, then go with the Barley Crusher, a single crush is perfectly adequate.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 14:28 Tue 10/30/2012

JSP Malt Mill, not adjustable, and I could not be happier with it.

FlacoAlto
premium
beers 3881 º places 17 º 14:35 Tue 10/30/2012

Originally posted by Cliff

Just curious, what do you do for non barley grains and malts? I canít imagine brewing without an adjustable mill, or I suppose I can, it means I wouldnít be grinding things that werenít barely.

drowland
premium
beers 7055 º places 216 º 17:51 Tue 10/30/2012

Originally posted by FlacoAlto
if you are happy with the crush that you have been getting from the homebrew store, then go with the Barley Crusher, a single crush is perfectly adequate.

Iíve never had anything else, so who knows? :/

Reading between the lines: get the monster :)

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 09:07 Wed 10/31/2012

Originally posted by FlacoAlto
Originally posted by Cliff

Just curious, what do you do for non barley grains and malts? I canít imagine brewing without an adjustable mill, or I suppose I can, it means I wouldnít be grinding things that werenít barely.

It does just fine with wheat and rye. I usually mix the wheat and/or rye with a few pounds of base malt and run it through. I then add that to the main grist and run that through. Never had sparge issues and my effencieny is 75 - 80% regularly.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer