Whirlfloc or Irish Moss?

Reads 1148 • Replies 4 • Started Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:10:27 PM CT

Thread Frozen

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 12:10 Sun 9/23/2012

Which is a better clarifier? Does it make a difference? When I started homebrewing, I used Irish Moss. Over the past several years Iíve been using Whirlfloc mainly do to convenience. Is there really much of a difference? Pros and Cons?

decaturstevo
beers 5779 º places 174 º 16:11 Sun 9/23/2012

Originally posted by cbkschubert
Which is a better clarifier? Does it make a difference? When I started homebrewing, I used Irish Moss. Over the past several years Iíve been using Whirlfloc mainly do to convenience. Is there really much of a difference? Pros and Cons?

good question Iíve just made the transition to whirfloc and would like to know as wellcheerstevo

NobleSquirrel
beers 3439 º places 209 º 18:18 Sun 9/23/2012

Whirlfloc works better, IMO. Itís basically ground up Irish moss..

bitbucket
beers 2165 º places 63 º 22:34 Sun 9/23/2012

Irish moss is cheaper, more of a pain to measure and use, and doesnít work as well.

Whirfloc is "blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form."

Gazza
beers 726 º places 164 º 02:18 Mon 9/24/2012

The tablets are, as has been said, powdered Irish Moss with other stuff in there - in the UK some Bicarb of Soda I think and other clarification agents. Certainly for big-scale brewing they are the way forwards, and as you can throw one in per brew (we use 1 tablet per 9 Imp Gallons) there is no measuring to do either.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer