RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Whirlfloc or Irish Moss?

read 848 times • 4 replies • posted 9/23/2012 12:10:27 PM

Thread Frozen

cbkschubert 2900:44
Which is a better clarifier? Does it make a difference? When I started homebrewing, I used Irish Moss. Over the past several years Iíve been using Whirlfloc mainly do to convenience. Is there really much of a difference? Pros and Cons?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
decaturstevo 4979:131
Originally posted by cbkschubert
Which is a better clarifier? Does it make a difference? When I started homebrewing, I used Irish Moss. Over the past several years Iíve been using Whirlfloc mainly do to convenience. Is there really much of a difference? Pros and Cons?

good question Iíve just made the transition to whirfloc and would like to know as wellcheerstevo
9/23/2012 4:11:15 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Whirlfloc works better, IMO. Itís basically ground up Irish moss..
9/23/2012 6:18:51 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Irish moss is cheaper, more of a pain to measure and use, and doesnít work as well.

Whirfloc is "blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form."

9/23/2012 10:34:36 PM

Gazza 726:163
The tablets are, as has been said, powdered Irish Moss with other stuff in there - in the UK some Bicarb of Soda I think and other clarification agents. Certainly for big-scale brewing they are the way forwards, and as you can throw one in per brew (we use 1 tablet per 9 Imp Gallons) there is no measuring to do either.
9/24/2012 2:18:43 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add