Who makes the best American "Lambic"?

Reads 8873 • Replies 78 • Started Monday, April 2, 2012 3:34:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 18:34 Mon 4/2/2012

Originally posted by levifunk
Yea..except for the first year, its been a blend of at least 2 different ages. That’s a geuze.

bottle log says batches, not necessarily that they are of different ages. Reminds me of the commercial description here
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cantillon-cuvee-des-champions/39256/
even though we call that a Lambic-Gueuze here on RB...

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 18:35 Mon 4/2/2012

Didn’t Captain Lawrence make a few Lambics -- or were they primarily labeled as "Sours"? Anyway, I did find a chili lambic (or something) from CL in the database, however I’m not sure how successful it was when it came out. Anyone?

levifunk
beers 12 º 18:39 Mon 4/2/2012

Originally posted by Schroppfy
Yea..except for the first year, its been a blend of at least 2 different ages. That’s a geuze.

bottle log says batches, not necessarily that they are of different ages. Reminds me of the commercial description here

Look at the dates in the brew date column.

cbfobes
beers 2938 º places 29 º 18:41 Mon 4/2/2012

Recently had Upright Fantasia, simply amazing, I would love to snag a bottle of this stuff.

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 18:49 Mon 4/2/2012

Originally posted by Schroppfy

Look at the dates in the brew date column.

Got cha, thanks. I thought that was the case but spaced I guess - I’ve only owned several bottles of the damn beer over the years!

MrRomero
beers 1976 º places 112 º 19:23 Mon 4/2/2012

Originally posted by 502Flavors
Originally posted by MrRomero
Originally posted by 502Flavors
Originally posted by MrRomero
I was wondering who would say Upland first. They are horrible.

Hahaha ya. I woukdnt call them horrible, but the following and ratings that they have for their lambics has always boggled my mind. I should probably delete my ratings of the ones i had, but wont be spending the money any time soon to rerate. I do remember the beers very vividly though. There are farr worse attempts, but they certainky ahouldnt bare the word "lambic" on their label. But, that sam adams cranberry joke bottle is always out there baring the name. That stuff really is an awesome bad joke.
I was pretty drunk that night if you recall.

Me too. You also have the noble honor of being the only rateberian i have ever met
Y

Damn, still? I set the bar high.

arrogantb
beers 1402 º 19:31 Mon 4/2/2012

Beatification and Isabelle Proximus are really the only two I’ve had that actually tasted similar to gueuze. Duck Duck Gooze was nothing like a lambic.

levifunk
beers 12 º 19:37 Mon 4/2/2012

Do we know if allagash brews a lambic for the coolship series?

Was upright fantasia a lambic?

We need a term to distinguish american lambics from the generic sours...

So far we have russian river, new glarus, upland, southampton, lost abbey...any others?

DA
places 1 º 19:48 Mon 4/2/2012

Was upright fantasia a lambic?

Once again, what criteria are you using? It had no wheat (but neither does Cantillon Iris), but it did use aged hops (which Iris doesn’t). Lactobacillus and brettanomyces were pitched and it wasn’t spontaneously fermented. It also didn’t taste lambic like.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 19:48 Mon 4/2/2012

Not the best, but another consideration:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rivertown-lambic/142646/