RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why are you NOT a pro brewer?

read 8368 times • 100 replies • posted 2/11/2012 6:16:34 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

DA 1
Iíd like to, but not confident enough in my beers yet and Iím to chicken to take the big risk in such a crowded market. Iíd like to possibly do a hobby nanobrewery if I had property.
2/12/2012 8:43:03 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
mcox90 1545:48
Originally posted by keanex
It seems a lot of people I know are just happy to make good beer for them and their friends and theyíre okay with it. They donít want to mix business and pleasure and I respect that.

Iím an amateur woodworker and Iíve had people say, gee you should sell your stuff. Well, (1) I donít feel Iím good enough and (2) Itís no longer a hobby, itís work.
2/12/2012 9:09:18 AM

premium
drowland 6038:172
Originally posted by DA
Iíd like to, but not confident enough in my beers yet and Iím to chicken to take the big risk in such a crowded market. Iíd like to possibly do a hobby nanobrewery if I had property.

This would be fun. A neighbor of mine back home is considering opening a brewery with his winery (long story), and if he ever does, Iím hoping I can help out!
2/12/2012 9:18:19 AM

premium
Fratto 2616:
Because my dream would be combining a greasy spoon with a brewpub. Coffee, home-style food, beer, and jazz.

Not sure this would fly.
2/12/2012 10:03:38 AM

Bilk 16:3
I brew because I want to, not because I need to. Too many hobbies lost when they became work.
2/12/2012 10:12:53 AM

premium
A lot of you mention that you donít want a fun hobby to become work... do you think brewers donít enjoy their jobs? Iím not arguing, just asking.
2/12/2012 10:46:20 AM

Swillbur 62:25
I would much rather do something i love for work rather then wasting away with that steady paycheck and insurance. Like it was stated already you have to put family first.

For me itís the cost of getting into the industy. State laws are all different and in some states licenses are much cheaper. Im also thinking that the bubble is going to burst on all these breweries popping up. Im quitting my job of 12 years pretty soon and picking up and moving to Oklahoma. Going to try and get one going in 5 years out there, or at least have some sort of a plan. If you never try and do what you want, you will never know what you can do! Cheers
2/12/2012 11:12:09 AM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by Vertical Bacon Strips
Iím not rich

Brewery owners are rich... Who knew?
2/12/2012 11:13:35 AM

premium
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by Vertical Bacon Strips
Iím not rich

Brewery owners are rich... Who knew?

He probably just meant finding the funds to start a brewery... which is one of the main things turning me away. I homebrew for fun and people tell me all the time I should start a brewery - but I donít have the slightest clue how to start one, and the money issue scares me.

Iím also lucky to be doing music for a living, which is something else I love, but itís not a very lucrative business either.
2/12/2012 11:41:17 AM

premium
cheap 4055:161
No matter how much you know about brewing, there is always somebody out there who knows more and is proudly ready to be critical. Beer tasting is so ambiguous with too many self made arrogant experts who know everything about what other people should think about beer. Its anlagous to making the music that everybody likes. Thatís why we have excelent craft beers that do not appeal to the masses of lager lovers. Is beer making for a niche or is beer making for a profit?
2/12/2012 11:47:37 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers