RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why are you NOT a pro brewer?

read 8359 times • 100 replies • posted 2/11/2012 6:16:34 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

faithinchaos
couldn’t find a brewing job without experience.
2/12/2012 1:33:28 PM

Private message send the author a private message

fredandboboflo 1570:62
Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by Swillbur
I know im not going to break into the market selling niche beers. Good solid beers are easy to make and they are the money makers. You need real big time money and balls to go in the route of the bruery or CCB. My plan is to start off with several base beers and work up from there. Ive had beer from "pros" that are horrible and have no idea why they are brewing them still. You need a solid buisness plan and good marketing. You can have a great product but if nobody knows about it your done.

However, you mentioned CCB. I’m sure they make a SHIT TON of their profits from Jai Alai, Maduro, and the likes. We get some of their limited brews here, but regardless of them, we constantly sell the SHIT out of Jai Alai and Maduro, especially Jai Alai (bottle and tap)... so maybe actually a good example of having good base brews to support everything else.

Indeed. And the CCB guys have said that when they were starting up, most craft brewers in Florida felt the need to "play it safe" and cater to the mass market. They made very basic beers that sort of acted as just just a step up from macros. CCB saw a market of craft beer desperately looking for a local brewery who would make more adventuresome beer. That was part of the package just as were their two staple beers.

You just have to know your market. Maybe in an unsaturated market like Oklahoma, and by reputation an un-savvy one at that, making a few basic beers will do you well. If you tried that in, say, San Diego, you’ll quickly get lost amongst the giants. There is also the occasional brewpub or nano (and for better or worse The Bruery) where there really is no basic "staple," and sometimes that can work too.

So obviously there’s no one way to approach it from the beer side. That’s where you can, to varying extents depending on your market, do what you love, assuming the beer is good, or maybe great. It’s that whole money, business, investment, advertising, manpower, customer service, etc. side that you really better have down.
2/12/2012 1:41:20 PM

premium
Gary 1390:3
i dont have any good gimicks.
2/12/2012 1:55:45 PM

Phischy 1:57
As some have said: turning a hobby into a job are 2 different things. Depending on your market it may be over crowded. Or you open a brewpub and essentially have 2 business, either one may tank and take the other with it.

If it were just making beer it’d be easy, but marketing, sales, hiring employees etc... There’s not much money to make in it unless you start off with growth in mind.

Then you have tickers on RB/BA and every 1/2 cent beer blog who’ll praise you one moment, tear you apart the next. Although they’re but a small vocal minority, they’re still bloody annoying.
2/12/2012 4:28:25 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Originally posted by Phischy
As some have said: turning a hobby into a job are 2 different things. Depending on your market it may be over crowded. Or you open a brewpub and essentially have 2 business, either one may tank and take the other with it.

If it were just making beer it’d be easy, but marketing, sales, hiring employees etc... There’s not much money to make in it unless you start off with growth in mind.

Then you have tickers on RB/BA and every 1/2 cent beer blog who’ll praise you one moment, tear you apart the next. Although they’re but a small vocal minority, they’re still bloody annoying.

You seriously are being held up by the tickers?
2/12/2012 7:14:31 PM

premium
IrishBoy 3836:106
I have never brewed any beer. I get into enough trouble with the wife just buying beer to enjoy and rate. If I got into home brewing I’d probably really get into trouble as I never get into any hobby in a small way and I would never be satisfied with a Mr Beer kit!
2/12/2012 7:33:28 PM

premium
DYCSoccer17 3319:300
because I make 110k+OT?
2/12/2012 9:07:21 PM

premium
radagast83 4633:173
The DC area just had a "boom" in craft brewery openings over the last calendar year. We’ve had Port City, DC Brau, Lost Rhino, Chocolate City, and 3 Stars Brewing all begin producing beer. They run the run the gamut from successful right out the door to struggling to get even one beer brewed at a facility of their own after almost an entire year "open" (one still hasn’t).

I’d be too stressed, even if I wanted to open my own brewery, especially after seeing the marginal success (at best) that some of them have had. It does look like they’re all living the life though, even if they’re financial situation is tenuous at best.
2/12/2012 9:35:20 PM

JW77 22:
1) No per say really local breweries to me hiring

2) Still looking for a location in Miami its not easy

3) Money and financing for the facility and equipment

those are my main reasons but I am working on #2 & 3, and have been getting guidance from some other memebers of the professional brewing community.
2/13/2012 8:04:24 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
The market where I live (Franconia) wouldn’t like the beer I’d brew (überhoppy, low-low-gravity, cask-conditioned half-IPA). Starting a business is supposedly even harder in Germany than it is in the US.

I brew about 25 liters a week for our personal consumption. If I could quadruple or ten-tuple that and sell the excess to other people while getting the production OUT of our kitchen, that’d be great. I’d like to do this by renting a vacant little shop downtown where I could set up a nanobrewery.

I have the time, but not the balls. Not yet.

Also really like the idea of building a "brewery" in our next house, but that’s years away.
2/13/2012 8:10:20 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers