RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why are you NOT a pro brewer?

read 8335 times • 100 replies • posted 2/11/2012 6:16:34 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Phischy 1:57
Originally posted by SamGamgee
Originally posted by Phischy
As some have said: turning a hobby into a job are 2 different things. Depending on your market it may be over crowded. Or you open a brewpub and essentially have 2 business, either one may tank and take the other with it.

If it were just making beer itíd be easy, but marketing, sales, hiring employees etc... Thereís not much money to make in it unless you start off with growth in mind.

Then you have tickers on RB/BA and every 1/2 cent beer blog whoíll praise you one moment, tear you apart the next. Although theyíre but a small vocal minority, theyíre still bloody annoying.

You seriously are being held up by the tickers?

Not at all, I have no intentions of going pro. I just canít stand whiney self-absorbed asshats.
2/13/2012 9:11:09 AM

Private message send the author a private message

BrianDorry55 333:6
My kit comes in next week...and I plan on starting fast and shooting for the stars. I want to own my own brewery one day...hopefully within the next 15 years...and I have little doubt that it will happen if it continues to be my goal...but I have a goal in mind and it is not just to sell beer...it is to build something special.

Cigar City did it the right way...Joey had a goal in mind not just to open a brewery but to build something special that Tampa, and Florida, could be proud of...CCB has succeeded at that already but not surprisingly, they donít show any signs or desire to slow down. Thatís the way to do it and hopefully I can follow that model some day.
2/13/2012 11:07:07 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3199:74
Iím going to go with tickers as well.
2/13/2012 11:22:57 AM

zimbo 531:
Morgage
Debt
60 hour work weeks
Two small children
wife
Dog
Guinea pig
Too many home improvement projects in the pipeline
The houseís only driver
Mother in law
Delusions of respectibility
You get the picture.
2/13/2012 12:37:01 PM

premium
drowland 5981:172
How hard is it to just get licensing and sell a little beer out of your house? Even if the profits are really low and itís just for fun. Itíd be nice to just sell some beer sometimes. What say we on that, ticker aside?
2/13/2012 12:43:37 PM

DA 1
Originally posted by drowland
How hard is it to just get licensing and sell a little beer out of your house? Even if the profits are really low and itís just for fun. Itíd be nice to just sell some beer sometimes. What say we on that, ticker aside?

I believe youíre not able to do that, it has to be a detached building to be licensed as a brewery, so youíd have to have a detached garage, shop, shed, barn, or something.
2/13/2012 12:52:30 PM

Phischy 1:57
Impossible in California.
2/13/2012 1:02:18 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by drowland

I believe youíre not able to do that, it has to be a detached building to be licensed as a brewery, so youíd have to have a detached garage, shop, shed, barn, or something.

Yeah. At this point, Iím hoping things work out and I can brew pilot batches at local breweries/nanos around here. That would be good enough for me right now, just getting more people to drink my beer and other good beer.
2/13/2012 1:02:54 PM

Sizzelpunch
To the Guy who is moving to Oklahoma and going to start a brewery. Good luck, not sure if you can HOMEBREW IS ILLEGAL IN OKLAHOMA - so good luck keeping your mouth shut, finding supplies, cops, etc. May as well live in North Texas instead, Gainsville or something.

To open any business costs money and not everyone has that money or business expertiese. It is kind of a nieve question, dude. Not sure if you are just trying to show your appreciation for some beer you got, or if you really think its just that simple.
2/13/2012 2:46:48 PM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by zimbo
Morgage
Debt
60 hour work weeks
Two small children
wife
Dog
Guinea pig
Too many home improvement projects in the pipeline