RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why are you NOT a pro brewer?

read 8420 times • 100 replies • posted 2/11/2012 6:16:34 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
RABinCO 1399:87
I would lose the steady income from ym current job that lets me spend money homebrewing.
3/21/2012 7:40:40 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
drowland 6134:172
Luckily for me I donít have a steady job.
3/21/2012 7:41:56 AM

premium
RABinCO 1399:87
Originally posted by drowland

Well in the case, the question why arenít YOU pro brewing? Live the dream for us 9-5ers.
3/21/2012 11:29:55 AM

matt7215 2222:69
because you havnt opened a brewery and hired me as your headbrewer yet
3/21/2012 11:33:58 AM

premium
Originally posted by RABinVA

Well in the case, the question why arenít YOU pro brewing? Live the dream for us 9-5ers.

Hahaha, working on it.
3/21/2012 11:34:03 AM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by DA
How hard is it to just get licensing and sell a little beer out of your house? Even if the profits are really low and itís just for fun. Itíd be nice to just sell some beer sometimes. What say we on that, ticker aside?

I believe youíre not able to do that, it has to be a detached building to be licensed as a brewery, so youíd have to have a detached garage, shop, shed, barn, or something.

Really depends on the state.
3/21/2012 5:44:53 PM

erway 1004:41
Let me add just a small but very definitive statement to this conversation... It might make me sound dickish ("no not you Jeff!") This applies to all those without trust funds. If you have a lot of angel investors or you are a trust funder, do what you wish. If you actually need to make a living, do yourself a favor and heed this advice.

If you open a brewery without having worked for another, you are are a fool and you get what you get.

There is no room in the current climate for either amateurs nor sub-par beer. There is plenty of room for good beer and experienced business people. There is absolutely NO room for amateurs. The 90s and itís climate are long gone.
3/21/2012 5:52:48 PM

premium
Originally posted by erway
Let me add just a small but very definitive statement to this conversation... It might make me sound dickish ("no not you Jeff!") This applies to all those without trust funds. If you have a lot of angel investors or you are a trust funder, do what you wish. If you actually need to make a living, do yourself a favor and heed this advice.

If you open a brewery without having worked for another, you are are a fool and you get what you get.

There is no room in the current climate for either amateurs nor sub-par beer. There is plenty of room for good beer and experienced business people. There is absolutely NO room for amateurs. The 90s and itís climate are long gone.

OH SNAP!

I think thatís sound advice, though, but are you assuming that anyone with this prospect makes bad beer or doesnít know what theyíre doing?

Man, I was just at this place called Karibrew recently and it was some of the worst beer Iíve ever had in my life. The place was doing just fine.
3/21/2012 5:57:15 PM

premium
3/21/2012 5:58:08 PM

lithy 2996:156
Karibrew

That place is pretty bad.
3/21/2012 6:14:08 PM