RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why are you NOT a pro brewer?

read 8322 times • 100 replies • posted 2/11/2012 6:16:34 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
Tibeerious 1
Originally posted by Veldrid
The thing that holds me back is the money. I just donít think I could pay myself what I make now. As much as I would like to have a job that I love, I love money and my current lifestyle now more.

You should get the book "voluntary simplicity", loving money is a pretty good indication that you have confused the marker with the game.
3/22/2012 9:59:59 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Originally posted by lithy
Luckily (or possibly unluckily) for me, Iíve never made more money than I have brewing. So Iíll never have to view it as a poor paying job.

Iím in the same boat. Helps that Iím still pretty young.

I think the key is to start young, when the relatively low wages are bearable, and be smart and ambitious enough to work your way up to a better-paying position as fast as possible.

If I was 15 years older and had a couple kids, I donít know if I would have been able to do this. Well, thereís always a sugar mama option, I guess.

I also completely agree with Erway about starting your own brewery without having experience. Homebrewing just doesnít prepare you to operate a commercial brewery. I even went to brewing school but was still completely helpless when I started working at a commercial brewery. I canít even fathom trying to do things right on my own. Some people still seem to make it work though...
3/22/2012 3:43:55 PM

premium
drowland 5980:172
Originally posted by SamGamgee
Luckily (or possibly unluckily) for me, Iíve never made more money than I have brewing. So Iíll never have to view it as a poor paying job.

Iím in the same boat. Helps that Iím still pretty young.

I think the key is to start young, when the relatively low wages are bearable, and be smart and ambitious enough to work your way up to a better-paying position as fast as possible.

If I was 15 years older and had a couple kids, I donít know if I would have been able to do this. Well, thereís always a sugar mama option, I guess.

I also completely agree with Erway about starting your own brewery without having experience. Homebrewing just doesnít prepare you to operate a commercial brewery. I even went to brewing school but was still completely helpless when I started working at a commercial brewery. I canít even fathom trying to do things right on my own. Some people still seem to make it work though...

Sam where do you work? Is it your own place? Usually it seems like brewers have one of those "SamGamgee of XXX brewing."

Itís probably common knowledge, but Iím just curious as I donít know, dammit!

Also Lithy, I heard your beers suck!
3/22/2012 7:22:55 PM

lithy 2996:156
Originally posted by drowland
Also Lithy, I heard your beers suck!

Believe me, Iíve heard they have too.
3/22/2012 7:58:59 PM

premium
DocLock 7721:145
Not enough cash to start.
3/22/2012 8:06:32 PM

lithy 2996:156
Karibrew

That place is pretty bad.

Youíre being kind.

Also brown ale = stout mixed with pilsner. A winning combination!

I missed this post on the first go around. I have been questioning whether or not the brown and red should be in the database since my understanding is that they are just on tap blends. But the Pils wasnít on when I was there, so I donít really know apart from reading the beer menu.
3/22/2012 9:05:18 PM

premium
drowland 5980:172
Karibrew

That place is pretty bad.

Youíre being kind.

Also brown ale = stout mixed with pilsner. A winning combination!

I missed this post on the first go around. I have been questioning whether or not the brown and red should be in the database since my understanding is that they are just on tap blends. But the Pils wasnít on when I was there, so I donít really know apart from reading the beer menu.

The red wasnít listed as a blend that I remember, but the brown definitely was. I think sometimes people let this go... I wasnít going to rate it for that exact reason until I saw that it was already in there. I blame markwise.
3/26/2012 7:15:29 PM

Emilywang
you are right, the family is more important than just do the business, also at the same time, a healthy body, and good relationship with wife and kids, a good friendship with friend are also very important for life
3/30/2012 7:50:56 PM

FURLYSURIOUS 263:1

My question is, why are you NOT a pro brewer?

Well, because professional brewers get paid for what they do.
3/30/2012 8:57:52 PM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3166:74
Originally posted by Emilywang
you are right, the family is more important than just do the business, also at the same time, a healthy body, and good relationship with wife and kids, a good friendship with friend are also very important for life

More important than a nice bottling line?
3/30/2012 9:31:41 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers