RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why do customers do this?

read 7679 times • 78 replies • posted 2/17/2012 6:46:17 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

brewolf 169:16
Iím guilty of this too, with various things. I might not go through a particular food item that quickly, so the later the date the better for me. It just always made sense to grab the freshest product possible.

In relation to beer: I must assume that the very first bottle is taken out at least a few times by customers for reading labels, looking at dates, etc. Whether this or the UV issue makes any REAL difference or not is up for debate. It all comes down to the perception and preference of the buyer. If it is a store that I know has high turnover, I donít bother with worrying about it. Everywhere else, I cannot help but ípick outí my bottle.
2/18/2012 10:33:50 AM

Private message send the author a private message

kryptic
Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by kryptic
Originally posted by drowland
As for the light exposure... Iím pretty sure most people who shop in a lot of beer stores donít even know that may be an issue.

A lot of beer geeks seem to think that uv light "skunking" beer is some special knowledge that only they possess, when in reality, it is actually pretty common knowledge these days.

Youíd be surprised. A lot more people than you think are probably doing it for the uv reason, not becasue they think there is some magical super cold, bottled yesterday beer back there somewhere.

My argument in this case is that itís not even an issue, but people will think what they think.

I agree, in most cases its not an issue. But since more and more people now know or are learning "uv light skunks beer" that is probably a bigger contributor than you think to the reason you are seeing more and more people do the whole take the second sixer back thing.
2/18/2012 10:40:47 AM

MADhombrewer 18:
Originally posted by jake65
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by Fratto
People do this with milk all the time as well. I donít get it.

They have to have those two extra days on the best buy date. Thatís everything!

I always do this with milk, but have never done it with beer. Hmmmm, maybe Iím missing out?

I know a guy that use to work at a grocery store. He would put all the older milks second in line so the old people picked those first. They never looked at the first milks date, which was the freasher of the two.
2/18/2012 10:44:51 AM

Fatboygotswag
I donít do this with 6 packs but best believe that the founders two hearted case under the top one has a fresher date on it so Iíll always dig for cases.
2/18/2012 11:00:27 AM

matt7215 2167:65
Originally posted by Fatboygotswag
founders two hearted

love me some founders two hearted
2/18/2012 11:02:28 AM

premium
drowland 5989:172
Originally posted by Fatboygotswag
I donít do this with 6 packs but best believe that the founders two hearted case under the top one has a fresher date on it so Iíll always dig for cases.

Haha, itís possible... but for instance, Two Hearted and Jai Alai are two of the beers we order the most of, usually 8+ cases at a time... and every case we get is the exact same bottling date... and it all sells out by the time we order more... so in general, all of our stock is the exact age. And in our case, 98% of our stock is kept inside of our cooler cold to prevent spoilage and benefit freshness.

The problem then is I get all the as*holes that get all pissed off that we donít have warm beer for their 20 minute drive home. Give me a break.
2/18/2012 11:31:47 AM

premium
OldGrowth 2645:171
Originally posted by Fratto
People do this with milk all the time as well. I donít get it.

with milk you can see the dates on it...
2/18/2012 11:38:49 AM

premium
Drake 8186:476
Originally posted by DaSilky1
Itís completely illogical to not find the freshest foods. I do this with all food with a best by or packaged on date. Why would you want to increase the likelihood of wasting food and thus money and why wouldnít you want to eat the freshest foods? People that donít look for the freshest foods are idiots.

This reads like the argument in an LSAT question.
2/18/2012 12:46:21 PM

steview 1019:20
I just did this with eggs because the eggs in the back were newest.
2/26/2012 8:06:37 PM

miketd 125
I do it all the time and will probably do it next time I buy a sixer/bomber.
2/26/2012 8:14:49 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers