RateBeer

Why do customers do this?

read 7897 times • 78 replies •

Thread Frozen

billk
beers 353 º places 59 º 22:14 Sun 2/26/2012

They probably think the behind 6ers are colder (which they may well be). The average beer drinker has no concept of beer being date sensitive.
I donít buy milk in my town. Too many bad experiences. I drive 10 miles to get milk or I do without. The yogurt I buy is sometimes odd tasting locally too.
Iíve seen pallets of frozen food sitting in the aisles of the local supermarket with absolutely no urgency to get it into the display coolers quickly.
I often find the back products to be oldest.

When buying wine I always look for the oldest bottle and pick from the darker, in back area.

A supermarket 7 miles away has beer and wine set up so the afternoon sun shines directly on it.
I once told them this is very uncool and they just looked at me like I had two heads.

RollinHard
beers 1024 º 22:34 Sun 2/26/2012

Iíll do it with pale and/or hoppy beers, or anything in a green or clear bottle. Nothing sucks as much as bringing home a bottle of Saison Dupont and it tastes like a handful of pennies because itís skunked. After that near-waste of money, Iím gonna go for a bottle that *might* be less light damaged.

I think part of it is that there are tons of factors that cause skunking that are out of customersí control. This one small thing is something we CAN control. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

RamyG4
premium
beers 323 º places 3 º 23:39 Sun 2/26/2012

I do it with bottles on shelves, grab one from the back a lot of the time, for light exposure reasons. I know it probably makes no difference, just a habit at this point.

cheap
beers 4616 º places 184 º 06:32 Mon 2/27/2012

I do this with milk at the grocery store, the dates are fresher on the ones in the back. Weird habbit fer ssure.

acurtis
beers 53 º places 7 º 06:36 Mon 2/27/2012

I got into this habit when buying Milk and it seems to have migrated over to my beer purchasing as well

Cornfield
premium
beers 5570 º places 143 º 07:08 Mon 2/27/2012

I like to shuffle the beers around, both on the shelves and in the coolers, just to confuse the issue.

CanIHave4Beers
premium
beers 3575 º places 74 º 07:59 Mon 2/27/2012

Not so much with six packs, but rather with bottles. I want a bottle thatís got an undamaged label lots of times so Iíll shift around and find one that looks nice if it looks like the first oneís got a scrunched or slightly ripped label. Itís silly, but I do it, mostly because I like to save lables and glue them to my beer fridge.

ryan
beers 3186 º places 13 º 08:57 Mon 2/27/2012

A better question is, why doesnít everyone do this? I mean, I guess someone has to take the older stuff from the front of the shelf, whether beer, soy milk or fresh produce, but no thanks. Better you than me, suckers.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 10:01 Mon 2/27/2012

Cooler and fresher is what people think.

kryptic
10:09 Mon 2/27/2012

Originally posted by billk
The average beer drinker has no concept of beer being date sensitive.

Yes you are right, advertising has absolutely zero effect on people. That several year multi-million dollar "born on date" ad campaign a couple years back emphasizing that freshness is important didnít reach anyone. Nobody listens to ads. Thats why nobody in this country even drinks those beers by Bud or Miller...oh, wait.