RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why do customers do this?

read 7666 times • 78 replies • posted 2/17/2012 6:46:17 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

tronraner 2459:109
Iím pretty sure this is a universal shopping habit, not just with beer or groceries. People do this with music more often than not. Theyíll grab the second CD in the stack, not the top one. Same with books. Same with clothing. Thereís some psychological impulse about the one on top being a display of sorts, the others being "newer." Iíd guess itís usually subconscious.
2/27/2012 12:52:37 PM

Private message send the author a private message

IPFreely 1470:143
I do it, primarily for singles or bombers, out of habit mainly due to the uv exposure thing. Iím not a fan of bright fluorescent lights being 2 inches away from IPAs for 12 hours every day in a fridge display. Iíll do the same for beer on shelves for pretty much the same reason. I donít even know if itís rational, but I feel like darker is better, and nearly every single beer in the front of any shelf in a fridge or the floor is in a much brighter area than the beers directly behind them
2/27/2012 2:54:19 PM

premium
pepsican 1440:46
Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Originally posted by Savvy1982
Originally posted by BlackIPA
Originally posted by pepsiedcan
Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
Originally posted by BenBenedict
זה אותו הדבר עם אחי חלב. נסה לא להיות יהיר כל כך אף.

* אוהב את זה, אחי *

2/27/2012 2:56:37 PM

vollont
they dont want skunky beer
7/26/2012 8:46:42 AM

premium
Leighton 10538:574
Phoenix Thread.
7/26/2012 8:52:39 AM

premium
Savvy1982 1705:70
Originally posted by Leighton
Phoenix Thread.

Damn!

5 month necro thread?

7/26/2012 9:49:08 AM

CharmCityCrab 149:
If you see me doing this, itís usually because I want a particular type of beer, but the first one I see is past is past itís "freshest by" date or too far past itís "bottled on" date. Iím hoping to get something that didnít roll off the factory in the stone age, and if I canít, I move on to another beer.

The other reason I sometimes do it is damaged packaging. Iíll pick up a 6 or a 12 pack and see a tear in it and realize there are decent odds itís going to rip apart at some point before it hits my fridge, resulting in me losing a beer and having to pick up shards of broken glass in a parking lot or off a sidewalk (Actually happened before, and I got my hand cut up to boot- plus had to drive home reeking of alcohol hoping I didnít get pulled over, because you just know a cop isnít going to believe you werenít drinking if you reek of alcohol, no matter how carefully you explain the broken bottle in the parking lot thing).

But if everything is in order with the "freshest by" and "bottled on" date, and the packaging doesnít look damaged, Iíll just take the front one from the cooler (or the top 12 pack box from the floor, or whatever). Itís not a habitual thing that I start "digging" for the stuff in the back of coolers or the bottom of piles of twelve packs, but I will do it if the top one is unacceptablely old or has damaged packing (Which is more often than one would think, especially in the former case- liquor stores simply donít seem to give a crap about getting rid of beer thatís out of code).
7/26/2012 10:26:13 AM

TooManyBeers 1:
I can see doing it with milk because of the expiration date. However there is a big difference between when milk goes bad vs. beer. So Iím clueless as to why your avg Joe would dig for the beer in the back.
7/26/2012 10:29:58 AM

fletche00
Originally posted by vollont
they dont want skunky beer

If you dont mind sir, could you please explain to me, in your opinion, what skuny beer is?
7/27/2012 5:26:03 AM

Bevbro 26:
1) freshness
2) colder
7/27/2012 6:28:34 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.