RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why dont beer stores do as well as wine and liquor stores?

read 7740 times • 27 replies • posted 7/24/2012 7:39:39 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
drfabulous 4196:81
Margins would be the best answer. And for those beer stores doing well: Brewforia, Bruisin Ales, Louisville Beer Store, Belmont Station, they also either have solid customer bases for craft beer (Portland, Asheville), also sell growlers, sell draught by the glass (people can hang out and have a beer or three), or do something else that makes them unique (hold special tastings, have beer personalities come by to help sell, serve food, etc.). Putting beer on the shelf and waiting for the customer base to come, unfortunately, is the strategy of many other places, and that is also why a lot of beer sits on the shelves for long periods of time (Kentuckyís Liquor Barn chain, for instance).
7/25/2012 6:48:14 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Bevbro 26:
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Originally posted by Bevbro
Beer only stores never make it. Beer expires and liquor doesnít. There also isnít $2,000 bottles of beer there is wine. And yes there is a mark up on beers. Especially Belgians because they have a longer shelf life usually and tend to sit on the shelf longer. Anyway I look at it I canít see beer only stores ever surviving when you can go down the street and grab a bottle of Johnny Walker and sme beer.

You apparently have never been to many beer only stores. There are loads that survive. Your whole post is stupid.

Oh my appologieze I forgot to mention .000001% survive.
7/25/2012 9:01:46 AM

premium
Brigadier 3095:281
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by Bevbro
Beer only stores never make it. Beer expires and liquor doesnít. There also isnít $2,000 bottles of beer there is wine. And yes there is a mark up on beers. Especially Belgians because they have a longer shelf life usually and tend to sit on the shelf longer. Anyway I look at it I canít see beer only stores ever surviving when you can go down the street and grab a bottle of Johnny Walker and sme beer.
This place is doing aiight.

http://louisvillebeerstore.com/

So is this place - in fact they just expanded to new locations
http://www.lizardville.net *

* OK technically they also sell scotch and bourbon at the bar but you canít buy any for takeout.
7/25/2012 9:28:29 AM

premium
StefanSD 2194:45
Licenses are usually to sell alcohol. In most states you canít get a separate permit to sell beer only, you get an "alcohol license" (But in some places restaurants can get a separate permit to serve beer and wine only). It just does not make sense to not sell wine and hard alcohol if your license allows you to do so. The profit margins are compelling and most likely the license was expensive or difficult to obtain.
7/26/2012 8:42:14 AM

Bevbro 26:
+1
7/26/2012 9:56:46 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3438:209
Why does a store need to only sell beer? Personally, Iím a bigger fan of shops that sell all forms of booze. Here in Chicago, there arenít any beer-only stores. Beercentric, sure, but the best shops know their customers and what they can offer. I like whiskey and wine, as well as beer, and like that I can "one stop shop" at these places. Just my $.02. Also, I donít quite understand why people see a need for a beer only shop. Personally, I also like that they can offer beer at a better price because they have the liquor/wine to subsidize the beer.
7/26/2012 10:03:26 AM

DarkLordDude
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Why does a store need to only sell beer?

Depending on the state, they may not have a choice. For example, in Oregon, liquor can only be sold at liquor stores, and liquor stores arenít allowed to sell beer or wine. Washington was the same until very recently
7/26/2012 10:57:09 AM

ContemplateBeer 1585:117
I believe Kentucky has separate licenses for beer and liquor/wine.
7/26/2012 11:20:57 AM

brewtopian 2:
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Why does a store need to only sell beer? Personally, Iím a bigger fan of shops that sell all forms of booze. Here in Chicago, there arenít any beer-only stores. Beercentric, sure, but the best shops know their customers and what they can offer. I like whiskey and wine, as well as beer, and like that I can "one stop shop" at these places. Just my $.02. Also, I donít quite understand why people see a need for a beer only shop. Personally, I also like that they can offer beer at a better price because they have the liquor/wine to subsidize the beer.

I can totally see where youíre coming from. I would say the benefit of a beer only store is service and potentially selection. Iíve been to many all inclusive stores around the country and have never ran across anyone that knew the first thing about beer. Specialization is always superior from a customer experience perspective. The all inclusive stores Iíve been to usually have a big selection in terms of the space dedicated to beer but a small selection in terms of actual SKUís.
7/26/2012 2:55:55 PM

oteyj 2130:14
I like store that sell all types of booze. Sometimes I want some dank nasty IPA, but other times I want to slam gin and tonic.
7/26/2012 7:23:53 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers